Stihl 028 av WB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandonh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all nice to be part of the site first,

A little history, Saw was my grandpals and I got it when he passed so im taking care of it and putting it to work.

The chainsaw was bogging down under load, as soon as I got into a piece of wood the motor would bog and chain would stop turning. So I replaced the clutch shoes, springs, sprocket and drum, bar and chain. Got the same results.

Rebuilt the carburetor (walbor). After the rebuild the motor would just flood, so I figured it had to do something with the meteing lever and needle. I put the old one back in last night, the saw would start but only with the air filter off. It wouldn't idle just rev up real high. I took the choke off and I could keep it going for about 5 seconds and it would die. the gaskets are in the right order, I check them last night.

Someone please tell me what to do. The saw also has new impulse and fuel lines.
Thanks,

Did you pull the spark plug and pull it over a few times to drain the excess gas out of the cylinder and bottom end?Have you pulled the Muffler to check the condition of the piston and cylinder?

I have done both, cylinder looks brand new. Saw used to run great before carb rebuild just wouldnt cut under a load.

Oh yeah check the spring for the Choke flap in the Air filter and see if it's connected.If it is replace the spring.

I can see the choke in the air filter working properly. haven't check crank seals.

I also have another 028 wb that I took the air filter off to try that, same results wouldn't start.

Ok try your timing.business card between magnets on flywheel and the coil.loosen coil and retighten bolts.I'd say its your crank seals.heard of it happening.

Points or electronic ignition? If points you most likely have coil/condenser trouble.

Electric. Saw is a av sorry

Could I have messed something up on the carb rebuild? I've only rebuilt a few. But this the first total rebuild.

Did you set the L and H mix needles correctly? Compression check?

Did you take the adjustment screws completely out and clean the carb good? Screw the adj screws completely and lightly seated turn both out 1 1/2 turns.yes crank seals are still available.the flywheel side seal will be a pain to get out.

I tightened the H and L and back out 1.5 turns. I took carb completely apart.

What shape is your impulse line in? Did you do a new fuel line and filter?

You said you have another 028. What happens when you swap that carb onto this saw? If it still does it, that rules out your carb troubles.

Revving up high sounds like it could be an air leak. Like Jughead said, it could be crank seals, or it could be an impulse line or intake boot.

EDIT: Also, when you cleaned the carb, how did you do it?

Brand new impulse line and fuel line and filter. it wasn't doing this rev up / flooding before I rebuilt the carb

the carb on that saw needs to be rebuilt also unfortunately. I will try it tomorrow though

Back