Stihl 028 av WB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When rebuilding the card did you put the diaphragm on the carb then the gasket. If you put the diaphragm on first it will keep the needle open and floods. That to me sounds like your problem.

Hmm well somethings happened in the carb.....assuming the high and low are correctly adjusted...the needle is stuck open or a gasket is on backwards somewhere.
Really dont think anything else could cause flooding like that other than a carb needle stuck open.

Diaphragm is on the right way......not flipped? Sorry just trying to give you some ideas....cause I know it can be frustrating to figure out.

Please bring the ideas. Only way I will figure it out. I think it's on the right way. I have the gasket on then diaphragm. The metal part of the diaphragm is toward the body of the carb. Is this right?

What kind of gas are you running? Ethanol or non ethanol? I have seen carbs start pouring gas like in your situation if ethanol gas is used.sometimes if switched to non ethanol the flooding would quit.other times it would distort the diaphram etc. Bad enough that the carb would have to be rebuilt.

Regular 93 octane gas, with a fuel treatment to take care of the ethanol. Stihl 2 stroke oil. Fresh gas.

Id say its the ethanol. No matter how much you doctor the gas the ethanol is still there.if I was in your situation I would try another rebuild and a can of true fuel.hate to suggest true fuel because to me its a rip off.

I found someone close by with pure gas but its 100 octane, will this hurt anything?

Even though they advertise 10% at the pump it could actually contain more.im sure not only would there be seperation of water there could also be seperation of alcohol if left too long in the tanks at the station without being stirred or agitated.

I don't need to replace gaskets on carb rebuild again do I? just take apart and clean?

If you just rebuilt the carb and put new lines in. I'd have a hard time ethanol would cause an issue so fast. Usually ethanol takes its effects after years.....unless its e85.

Ive had a carb apart a few times a last year and to be honest its like what's wrong because I didn't really know how they worked then. So I put back together and still had issues. I had that thing apart like for times till I could see the problem.

Again sounds like you got it right but maybe its something your kinda overlooking (happend to me many times). If it floods out that fast and there is spark (cause it will run wot for a bit) and it has compression, then its gotta be a carb issue. If you have another carb take that one apart carefully and slowly. Clean it and put a new kit in it or swap the gaskets from the one you did. That's probably what my next try would be.

I also think its a carb issue. I just don't know what to look for? I tightened the H and L and then backed out 1.5. Did I go to tight and mess something up? everyone says lightly seated.

My other saw has a tillotson carb and this is a walbor. will this mess anything up.

I just had same issue with my dolmar 420. High rev with choke on, choke off die. It was an air leak from a bad seal on the carb rubber carb boot to intake.

Reinstalled, idled and ran but would die on the cut. Saw was way to lean at 1- 1/2 turns, Ended up at almost 3 turns, muffler modded saw. I should have counted my turns in when I first reset.

gg

I also think its a carb issue. I just don't know what to look for? I tightened the H and L and then backed out 1.5. Did I go to tight and mess something up? everyone says lightly seated.

My other saw has a tillotson carb and this is a walbor. will this mess anything up.
How tight are we talking? It would be very easy to pull the mixture adjusting screws out and view the tips. If they have anything bit a straight taper to the needle point, they are toast( and maybe the carb body too). Screws are steel, carb body is ??? softer than steel. I am thinking pressure/Vacuum test is next step....

What seal are you talking about Goosegunner? did u replace the seal or fix it some how?
H and L I just did tight enough where I thought they were all the way in. not a lot of pressure applied.

I don't think I have a way to Pressure test?

Walbro and Tillotson swap with no problem.

Did you use the right gasket from the rebuild kit? Some look similar but are different.

How did you clean the carb the first time?

Back