Stihl 028 AVS WB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Tubbs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Generally speaking, is a Stihl 028AVS WB a good saw?

A good friend has offered me his for £45 but we both agreed it could do with a new bar and chain.

Is this a good purchase? What Bar/Chain setup would you run for a firewood saw (soft to medium hard wood mainly)

Excellent saw in my opinion a little heavy by today's standards I don't care never needed but a carb kit and fuel lines but parts are easy to find I run a 18 inch bar .325 pitch stihl rsc for hardwood.

The equivalent of $70ish for a running 028? Good deal in my eyes. Looks like you are saying it is an AV Super Wood Boss correct? Those were produced towards the end of production of the 028. So it is not as old as some and has the slightly higher displacement of the Super. I have owned a 028 Super they are good firewood saws.

I would agree it a good purchase if the powerhead is in good running condition and it doesn't look it been abused otherwise. As for the bar and chain they are consumable items and are expected replacement items on any saw.

I like threads like this, perhaps because I have four of these saws. They all run well and are easy to service, upgrade, and parts are still available. Some say the 028 Supers are the best overall firewood saw that Stihl ever made. A few owners of 026 PRO saws might disagree. Regardless, a used 028 Super might be the best bang for the buck that is out there, and I own two 026 PRO saws that I have a hard time putting down--except when I run into an 18" dia. log. Then I quickly switch to the 028 Super with an 18" bar and chain. These saws are addictive and I still have no idea why Stihl discontinued them.

Yes, the 361 and bigger Stihls will outcut them, but you will also pay through the nose for them. Good luck, Matthew.

These saws are addictive and I still have no idea why Stihl discontinued them.
/QUOTE]
They discontinued it to build the 029. Makes no sense to me. I've got a couple 028s and an 029. I don't know how anybody would think an 029 is any kind of replacement for an 028. Mine are just regular 028s, I've never even run a super but I want one. And I would take any other 028s I can get my hands on.

Latest posts

Back