Stihl 028 Super run 3/8 picco

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanem

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can get a rim sprocket to run 3/8 picco on a 028?

I run 3/8 picco on the smaller saws and have 3/8 for the larger saws. I just picked up two 028 supers and they come with 325. I know you can get a 3/8 rim for the 028 but have more chain and bars for the picco.

You can get Picco rims and adapt bars to fit. Might try regular 3/8 too. An 028 super is right on the verge of being happy with regular 3/8.

Thanks Frogfarmer.
Wouldn't happen to know the part number for the rim? Asked local stihl shop and said i couldn't get a picco rim. He bases on IPL for 028 though.

I believe that Stihl only do a 16" picco bar in 3003 mount :
3003 000 6313

I've read that Cannon make 3003 mount Super Mini Guide bars in 18" and 20" also...

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...Chainsaw-Bar-60-Drive-Links-3003-000-6313.axd

OK, I didn't know they put out a bar to fit. The other guys were talking about adapting bars to fit, which can only be done by machining the bar or studs.

I believe that particular bar only came about as Stihl wanted to offer the option of using Picco chain on a new model of saw they released (I forget now which one) anyway that model happened to be 3003 mount and as such the relatively new bar fits all the other models that take 3003 mount (not that you will ever see Stihl advertise that or offer a Picco option for other 3003 mount saws like the 028 etc).

I also looked into running picco on my 028 Super... I collected all the part numbers together ready but never did order any of it. After reading a bit about picco chain not being so tolerant of dirty timber I opted, instead for standard 3/8, it runs that well I've never looked back.

Changed out an 024 super over from .325 PM chain to 3/8 RS using a 7 tooth rim sprocket. Dramatic increase in cutting speed, and it has no problems with a 16 inch bar full of oak. Would not go back to the low profile chain.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably go with the 3/8 if others are having no issues. Would save me from having to buy another bar for picco. Double checked last night and the ones i have are all 3005

Latest posts

Back