Stihl 028 WB wont start after overworking the saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoPy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi fellas,

I have this old Wood Boss I inherited from my wifes grandfather. It used to be a stubborn starting saw, but I replaced the fuel filter, spark plug, and air filter a couple weeks ago and it has been kicking on second pull regularly. So this afternoon I was cutting up firewood and the blade was nice and sharp, spitting out chips like it should when I got to this really knotty crotch section and regretfully decided to go after it. The blade dulled up by halfway through and I kept going. The saw was running hot and I figured both it and I needed a break so I cooled it down for a few minutes and went back to it and the saw stalled.

It was running for about 5-10 seconds per start for a few starts. I figured I would try it again after a long cool down and now I cant get it to start at all... Where do I begin? Thanks for the help!

Rings

Top of Cylinder

Looks like you got stuck rings, at least the lower one... There may have been carbon deposits in the combustion chamber that came loose and penetrated the ring grooves caused by the heat. The exhaust port still shows some chunks of carbon.

You guys were right on about the sticking rings. Bottom one was getting stuck all along where the gunk is at and the top had a little bit of sticking going on in the same area. I gave everything a nice rub down and everything seems to be in good shape for being 30 years old. There are a few minor pits inside the cylinder, but no streaking at all. Its smooth as glass in there. Once the ring seats were cleaned up the sticking seemed to be eliminated as well.

Does anyone see anything of concern? Is there anything I should replace while its apart? I have to replace the gasket under the jug so it will be a while before any reassembly happens.

Thanks for the help!

After the cleanup...

I do believe they will clear without the base gasket, save you a little money on a new one. Plus extra compression never hurts! Use some yamabond or motoseal and throw her back together.

You guys were right on about the sticking rings. Bottom one was getting stuck all along where the gunk is at and the top had a little bit of sticking going on in the same area. I gave everything a nice rub down and everything seems to be in good shape for being 30 years old. There are a few minor pits inside the cylinder, but no streaking at all. Its smooth as glass in there. Once the ring seats were cleaned up the sticking seemed to be eliminated as well.

Does anyone see anything of concern? Is there anything I should replace while its apart? I have to replace the gasket under the jug so it will be a while before any reassembly happens.

Thanks for the help!

After the cleanup...

What oil are you using and at what ratio?

As lone wolf asked in #9, this fuel mix is an important issue. I am having a hard time believing that all that gunk and wear was caused by just one cutting session in which the saw got hot. This problem built up over time and finally a straw broke the camel's back.
Looks like petroleum base oil and not a good one at that.

What oil are you using and at what ratio?

it don't matter cause that saw has likely seen many many many different oils through it's lifetime. look at how dark the bore is. that's an extremely high hour saw! it's an 028 though so it's probably still got half it's life ahead of it LOL

Turn the piston around.

Did you replace the rings or just clean them?

I'd put new caber rings in. While the old rings are off and you're flipping the piston around, bolt the jug on and check squish with no gasket. On my SUPER, it came in at .023 without a gasket YMMV.

All you need is a gas resistant sealer, like Dirko, yamabond, motoseal, etc. You don't need a gasket if the squish is OK.

The piston is on the right way. It is a 42mm. If I remember right, the arrow points to intake and the german word for intake is at the arrow.

42mm 028's never made much sense to me. A beefy saw with such small displacement.

If it were me, I'd sell the original P&C and upgrade to a Super jug. I got an OEM super P&C on ebay for $50 and sold my 44mm for $50.

Latest posts

Back