Stihl 028 WB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebrage

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picked one up at an auction last night for $10, happy as hell when I put a new plug in and new gas this morning and it started on the 2nd pull! Needs bar and chain, but good deal or what?

My question is, it runs pretty well but hesitates a little when I gun it right away and doesn't run real smooth at high speed, is there an adjustment on the carburater that I should tinker with? Also, where is the best place to buy a bar, and would this saw take a 16" bar.

Thanks for any help you can give the chain saw rookie!

A 16" bar would be about perfect for most things. You can get away with a longer bar if you use skip tooth or deal mostly with softwoods. I slight lag is due to a carb setting, but I don't remeber what exactly. The rough running at high speed is most likely due to a dirty carb. How does the air filter look? There are some great threads about tuning your carb around. You can find them using the search function. I actually have to dig one up pretty soon to get this new (to me) saw dialed in as I forgot a couple things about tuning the carb:dizzy:

I'm also sorry you got so taken on the price. Let me know when you're tired of messing with it, and I'll give you $20 plus shipping :D

Good deal on the 028. As for the bar and chain I would look for a local Stihl dealer or Baileys on this site should be able to assist you.As to the hesitation I would open the low side adjustment (closet to the cylinder) maybe a 1/8th turn (counter-clockwise) I would suggest taking a good look at the clutch drive sprocket if I were you.For what you paid the saw may need some TLC. I would not go any longer than a 16 BC (bar and Chain) in 325 pitch.Also make sure that it is oiling, Ken

Dump a little seafoam in the gas and it should clean out some of gunk in the carb. Dont over-do it though. A little bit of that in your gas goes a long ways.

I went on baileys, how do I know what my pitch is? Is it 325 like was stated in an earlier reply?

Picked one up at an auction last night for $10, happy as hell when I put a new plug in and new gas this morning and it started on the 2nd pull! Needs bar and chain, but good deal or what?

My question is, it runs pretty well but hesitates a little when I gun it right away and doesn't run real smooth at high speed, is there an adjustment on the carburater that I should tinker with? Also, where is the best place to buy a bar, and would this saw take a 16" bar.

Thanks for any help you can give the chain saw rookie!

I wouldn't touch any of the adjustments until you have a bar and chain on it. The roughness at WOT may be normal 4 stroking. It should smooth out when you are in the cut.

From Bailey's you should get one of the 16" Carlton bars for $6. Can't be beat for that price. I have them on 4 of my saws now.

Thanks for all the response's, I appreciate it!

Just curiuos, what's this saw worth (approx.) once I get it running good with a new bar and chain on it? It's in pretty good shape, even though you can tell it's been used quite a bit.

I would say around 200 bucks. with some good hard use. I saw one at the dealers a couple months ago, used, with a price tag of 325! :msp_scared: You could get more than 200 to the right buyer. I don't buy and trade much though, someone else will have a better number.

028 wb

I just got an old 028 WB from my friend. Not running. I rebuilt the carb replaced the fuel tank vent cleaned the muffler screen and it runs better than a very new Echo CS-440 that I have. Total of $14.00 invested. As far as the carb, crank the 2 needles (hi and low) in all the way, then back out 1 1/4 turns. Then full throttle and adjust the high side till you get max rpms then back off a 1/4 turn. Carb rebuild was very easy took about 15 min. Awesome saw, especially for free.

I've let 028 saws go for as little as $95.00 for beat up fixeruppers, to $275 for gems.

I've got an 028 AV Super that I have a very high offer on if the fellow likes what he sees.
Not sure If I want to let her go or not. CAD can be an ugly thing.

It seems that saws will often hesitate on a throttle blip until they are warmed up a bit.

Yep, this is good to remember. A cold saw always runs leaner than a warm saw. Once warmed up, it runs richer. Very important to wait until the saw is warmed up before making any conclusions or fine adjustments.

Back