Stihl 028 - What I need to know...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstluise

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've started looking for a saw and after plenty of research, it seems like an 028 would be a great one to have. The 026P would be another one, but they seem harder to come by and are a bit more in price.

I have leads on some 028 (not super), but before I go out and buy one, I would really like to know if one year is better than another. I know there were a couple generations of the 028 (pre & post SN 6111990 from what I read). Is one better than the other? I read that the 1st generation doesn't have a chain brake? Anything else I should look out for?

Then there is the naming: wood boss, av, farm boss?, or just plain 028...or a combination of them. Do I want to get one over the other?

Any information would be appreciated! I apologize if this thread is out there...the forum search wasn't working for me.

View attachment 317459I got the 028 wood boss, bought it new in the early 80's. Bin a great saw it's cut a lot of wood. Got a 16" and 20" bar for it.The 20" bogs it down a little but if you take your time with it it will get the job done. Use it mostly for limbing now.

Last edited:
The earliest 028 had a magnesium fuel tank and rear handle, which I think is pretty cool. I also like the woodboss logo, but you'd find neither of those on a super. An 028 would be a collector item for me, I'd prefer to spend the extra $50-$100 and get a MS 260 PRO for work. As with anything used, you're at the mercy of condition and availability.

I know a bit about 28's but not nearly as much as some......there are different versions and not all the parts interchange...the early saws have mag fuel tank handle assembly the later saws have plastic. The wood boss is the smaller bore the super is larger bore and later saw with electronic ignition and chain brake. The older ones have points and points coil that is different than the electronic version however I think the chain brake parts can be fitted to an older model with not chain brake...If you had to have one I would go for a later model with chain brake the ignition type doesn't really matter as I think you can put a 21 or 26 coil in one and have a electronic ignition but be warned these saws are getting old and some parts are nla..like I thing one of the crank bearings as it accepts the seal in it's bore like a 031 and getting hard to come by.....but you could probably get a good runner for under 250 for sure and with care would last you a long time.....

good luck
sap can

Thanks everyone for your input! Seems like a 028 Super is preferred...I think people know to hold onto them as I haven't seen much for sale. Seen plenty of 028s around here, in the $150-$200 range. I imagine a super will be closer to $300?

I think it would be cool to have my own older saw...always used my dad's and grandpa's older stihls (can't recall which models they have). But, I may see what is out there for the newer models. I found a "like new" MS362 for $275. I think it is overkill for my needs (bucking logs for firewood 2-3 times a year), but at that price it seems like a steal. Says it has a 28" bar (thought 25" was max?), but I can get a 20" setup and still have a good deal. Just the powerheads on eBay have been going $325 minimum.

Not in a big hurry to buy, so I can be picky. But that MS362 is tempting IF it is still available.

That's a great price for a 362. Almost too good. Be skeptical of a scam or aftermarket engine. Also a 28" is way too much bar for that saw. BUT........ Buy it if it's not a scam. That's an awesome saw and 60cc's is perfect for a one-saw plan.

Otherwise I recommend the 260 over the 028 for parts availability. And it's easier to find a 260 in beter shape since it's a newer model.

That's a great price for a 362. Almost too good. Be skeptical of a scam or aftermarket engine.

That was my initial thought. Is there a SN on the engine that I can check to make sure? Anything else to verify? From the description it sounds like the guy is in a bind and forced to sell...could be legit. Gonna see tomorrow!

That was my initial thought. Is there a SN on the engine that I can check to make sure? Anything else to verify? From the description it sounds like the guy is in a bind and forced to sell...could be legit. Gonna see tomorrow!

Not sure what area you are in, but if you are patient I would think you can find an 026 in decent shape between $200-$300, most likely closer to $200. The lower priced ones may need a little work, like re-building the carb if they have been sitting for a while, but its not difficult. The biggest thing is always the condition of the piston and cylinder, so given a choice I like the saws that come from the original owner so I can get a feeling about their history and care.

If you are adventurous, and have time, you can also find a non-working or poorly working one with a scored piston for less than $100. On the 026 it is pretty easy to change the cylinder and piston, and parts are reasonable, and you end up knowing exactdly what you have, plus you learn alot about your saw. The one thing to remember if you choose that route is to discover why it burned up the first time: as 026's get older, the oil seals wear and leak, and if bad enough, will make the mixture too lean and cause the saw to run too hot and burn up. There are alot of posts about how to replace the seals and its not difficult if you are careful.

I have not used an 028, but I really like my 026's with 18" bar. They are light enough to limb, and powerful enough to cut things down. And easy to work on. If you are experienced, cutting clean wood with a yellow chain feels great and goes fast. The one negative side of being light is that a heavier saw might make cutting firewood a little easier. And like with any older saw, you have to expect there will be some maintenance required, depending on how it was treated. If you are cutting wood for a living, it makes sense to buy new and not have to worry about equipment acting up. The 026, like all Stihl's from what I can see, is a great performer, but it is not a new saw.

Good luck with your purchase.

Robert

Not sure what area you are in, but if you are patient I would think you can find an 026 in decent shape between $200-$300, most likely closer to $200. The lower priced ones may need a little work, like re-building the carb if they have been sitting for a while, but its not difficult. The biggest thing is always the condition of the piston and cylinder, so given a choice I like the saws that come from the original owner so I can get a feeling about their history and care.

If you are adventurous, and have time, you can also find a non-working or poorly working one with a scored piston for less than $100. On the 026 it is pretty easy to change the cylinder and piston, and parts are reasonable, and you end up knowing exactdly what you have, plus you learn alot about your saw. The one thing to remember if you choose that route is to discover why it burned up the first time: as 026's get older, the oil seals wear and leak, and if bad enough, will make the mixture too lean and cause the saw to run too hot and burn up. There are alot of posts about how to replace the seals and its not difficult if you are careful.

I have not used an 028, but I really like my 026's with 18" bar. They are light enough to limb, and powerful enough to cut things down. And easy to work on. If you are experienced, cutting clean wood with a yellow chain feels great and goes fast. The one negative side of being light is that a heavier saw might make cutting firewood a little easier. And like with any older saw, you have to expect there will be some maintenance required, depending on how it was treated. If you are cutting wood for a living, it makes sense to buy new and not have to worry about equipment acting up. The 026, like all Stihl's from what I can see, is a great performer, but it is not a new saw.

Good luck with your purchase.

Robert

Thanks, Robert. I love to tinker and have plenty of experience with working on anything mechanical, though not much with chainsaws, but I don't think that would be an issue. It would be fun to find a project saw to work on over the winter. I'll keep my eye out, though this 362 has me preoccupied at the moment just because of it's price...doesn't mean I can't have two :D You're spot on with the 026 prices...that's what I have seen them going for, though more up around $300 than $200. Only saw one 026 Pro and it was at $400.

The first saw that I rebuilt was an 028 that I converted to a Super. They are a very good saw. But, for my own personal use I would rather have an 026. It is one saw that I always keep around. A little lighter and easier to handle. And, I don't see much point to the Pro over a standard 026. They don't need decomp. I certainly wouldn't turn down a good 028 if I found one at a good price though.

That's a great price for a 362. Almost too good.

Well, I didn't make it in time for the for the 362 and someone else snatched it up. Even at $275, I would have had to put in more money for the 20" bar & chain. So I would have been sitting at $350 in the end.

So, I found a 361 (people seem to like it better than the 362) listed for $400, but with the 20" setup already. Met the guy and it started right up and ran nice. Felt good. The bottom part of the crankcase on the flywheel side had a small hole in it, but it was patched with a piece of SS sheet metal. Turned me off a little bit, but I didn't see anything else. I talked him down to $350 and he threw in an extra chain as well. Cool, I thought. Once I got back to work I was taking a closer look at it and I think the crankcase is cracked on the clutch side :-/ Here is a picture of a crankcase at the spot I am talking about:

jW2yhLN.jpg

There is that channel there, and I think it continued into a crack. It was hard to tell because it looked like it was suppose to be there. Unfortunately I was in a hurry and didn't have time to look at it. I may be looking for a replacement crankcase, unfortunately...they seem to go for around $75. Uhg, having buyer's remorse now.

I have a 028 super and its a great saw for the ranch.I have mine on craigslist for $250.00 if that tells you what they may go for.

Well, I didn't make it in time for the for the 362 and someone else snatched it up. Even at $275, I would have had to put in more money for the 20" bar & chain. So I would have been sitting at $350 in the end.

So, I found a 361 (people seem to like it better than the 362) listed for $400, but with the 20" setup already. Met the guy and it started right up and ran nice. Felt good. The bottom part of the crankcase on the flywheel side had a small hole in it, but it was patched with a piece of SS sheet metal. Turned me off a little bit, but I didn't see anything else. I talked him down to $350 and he threw in an extra chain as well. Cool, I thought. Once I got back to work I was taking a closer look at it and I think the crankcase is cracked on the clutch side :-/ Here is a picture of a crankcase at the spot I am talking about:

jW2yhLN.jpg

There is that channel there, and I think it continued into a crack. It was hard to tell because it looked like it was suppose to be there. Unfortunately I was in a hurry and didn't have time to look at it. I may be looking for a replacement crankcase, unfortunately...they seem to go for around $75. Uhg, having buyer's remorse now.

The channel that is there is for the chainbrake band. Can you take a close up picture of the case. Is it crank where the screw goes in to hold the band on?

I have an 026 for sale. 16" bar and chain. Completely rebuilt. new crank, new piston, new jug, carb kit (fully adjustable carb) no cracks, no blemishes. asking 250

i had an early 028 and i have to say i wasnt a fan, i actually would turn to the 020t or my homelite instead, i recently picked up a 260pro and a ms280 and really like the 260 pro. but again i am comparing it to an early 028 and not a newer super

I know this thread is is little off course, but I strongly prefer the 026 to the 028 Super. In the 028's favor, it has a nice gear-driven oiler design, but the 026 has it beat on weight, parts availability and (slightly) ease to work on. Power is very close.

Round here the price for a 028 and 026 are very close, all in the $150-200 range.

Back