Stihl 028 wood boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Feller

J &J Tree Service
Reaction score
I just picked up a free 028 WB. Going to replace the AV bushings and I take boot. I would like to find a shop manual to down load and parts list. Is there any thing else I should look for or be aware of??

The saw came out with points and condenser.
So when I got it home. I cranked it and did not want to rev. I took it apart to look at the piston thru exhaust port which looked good. But it was real gummed up! Like super rich fuel?? Could this be due to the points or timing?

I just picked up a free 028 WB. Going to replace the AV bushings and I take boot. I would like to find a shop manual to down load and parts list. Is there any thing else I should look for or be aware of??
A new fuel line and carb kit should be standard and possibly a spark plug.
The 028 is a great saw, I have 2 and am putting together a 3rd scrap yard find.

My 1985 028 came with electronic ignition with a lifetime warranty. His saw may have electronic ignition. I bought this saw new. Yes the air filter cover is off. I was replacing the air filter.View attachment 914703
First Stihl I had was the 028S. Still have it and it runs good.

Save your reciept , Stihl won't honor ign warranty without it

Alright. So it does have points. I got a 290 coil today along with a new impulse and fuel line. The coil has two wires. One plugs on to the coil and one has an eyelet on it. I assume the one with a plug goes to the switch. Where goes the other one go? Ground??

Alright. So it does have points. I got a 290 coil today along with a new impulse and fuel line. The coil has two wires. One plugs on to the coil and one has an eyelet on it. I assume the one with a plug goes to the switch. Where goes the other one go? Ground??
Yes,ground,
the switch connects the 2 to ground out the coil/shut the saw off.

Latest posts

Back