Stihl 028av electronic quickstop cool question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob martell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have a question about my coil, the wire to the start switch is frayed in multiple places so I am looking to replace it, can I change it out for a different type of coil? I do not have much experience with coils.

There are only 2 wires coming off of it, one to the start switch and one to the plug boot

Thank you

Attachments

• EC679B83-282E-4EA8-BFC5-700E9B92858C.jpeg
    EC679B83-282E-4EA8-BFC5-700E9B92858C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
I just replaced the wire on mine. Simple 20-something gauge copper wire worked.

Don’t know about coil swap. Not exactly a hot-rod type saw (I can say that, I own 2, lol), so I don’t know that you’d get any massive gains out of a swap...

Snip out the frayed section and strip the insulation off so you can solder in a new piece . Best way to cover the repair is a coat of liquid electrical tape followed by shrink wrap tubing.

Or you can hillbilly it and just twist the wires together and use electrical tape.......

Snip out the frayed section and strip the insulation off so you can solder in a new piece. Best way to cover the repair is a coat of liquid electrical tape followed by shrink wrap tubing.

Or you can hillbilly it and just twist the wires together and use electrical tape.......
Right on! I have fixed two Stihl 028's this way. It is amazing how many saws are thrown away when they could have been saved with a simple electrical fix. I prefer using the solder procedure.

Thanks all for the reply, I am thinking I am going to run shrink tube over the whole wire as there are about 5 spots in the wire that cracked and are showing copper, I am not too good with soldering so I think this would be the best method

The copper on the wire is showing right on the coil, can I fix this with liquid electrical tape?

Attachments

• 74D16BDA-E69E-4EC7-A344-FB1870573254.jpeg
    74D16BDA-E69E-4EC7-A344-FB1870573254.jpeg
    975.6 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back