stihl 028av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoiseSaw

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
there's a 028av woodboss at my local pawn shop for $180... it looks like its in ok shape but is there any precautions that i should take when buyin a used stihl? it looks just like this one: ebay auction

Being the owner of one of this saw and yes I bought this saw new 1985. At last check my 028 had over 170 pounds of compression. This was about 4 months agao.140. I would be a little leary of these numbers. May have a scored cylinder, or just simply worn rings. How many bars have been on this saw?What is the clutch drive pulley like?When was the saw run last? When was the last time it had a new air filter and gas filter changed?Iff the owner cannot answer these questions right off I would look around. That is My opinion, Ken

kenskip1@verizo said:
Being the owner of one of this saw and yes I bought this saw new 1985. At last check my 028 had over 170 pounds of compression. This was about 4 months agao.140. I would be a little leary of these numbers. May have a scored cylinder, or just simply worn rings. How many bars have been on this saw?What is the clutch drive pulley like?When was the saw run last? When was the last time it had a new air filter and gas filter changed?Iff the owner cannot answer these questions right off I would look around. That is My opinion, Ken

Since it's in a pawn shop.....I highly doubt that the shop owner will know any operating history of the saw.

kenskip1@verizo said:

170lbs seems very high to me.

I've done plenty of pawn shop buying and here's my test:

1. Pull the muffler and inspect the piston and cylinder. (BYO flashlight and Torx screwdriver).
2. Hold the saw by the pull starting handle. It should stay or very gradually drop from the engine compression. If it drops quickly then compression is weak.
3. Start it. Ususally these pawn shop chainsaws still have gas in the tank.
4. Look for damage. Busted gas tanks, missing parts, etc.

028's are nice reliable chainsaws. If it's a creampuff then make an offer and try and snag it.

BoiseSaw said:
there's a 028av woodboss at my local pawn shop for $180... it looks like its in ok shape but is there any precautions that i should take when buyin a used stihl? it looks just like this one: ebay auction

BTW: I just sold one of these on the bay. It was a nice saw and brought $186.

Back