Stihl 028WB rubbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HusqyStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just recieved a customers old 028WB and looking for an intake boot and everything else i can find to replace all fuel lines, impulse lines (if equipped) and anything else i should replace while ive got it torn down including a sprocket which is worn pretty good. Any suggestions on where i can obtain said parts all in one? from first glance it all seems earily familiar with the 029/290/039/390 boots & lines. any luck with compatible parts out there or am i gonna be on the hunt for used or A/M parts which i'm having a bit of trouble finding. Any help would be appreciated, customer only asks to repair the saw to have as his third in line reliable saw and i'd like to accomplish that for him...

Please & Thank you in advance!!

~Moose

EDIT: case has been switched out so i'll have to go another route identifying the exact parts needed, and i'd assume pictures would be my best bet. Ive got the IPLS and Manuals, so that'll help but my concern was he was turned away from a saw shop as they stated the can no longer obtain parts for this saw...

Did you check with a Stihl dealer, they may be able to supply some of the stuff you need but there are some parts that you will likely have to source out elsewhere. The 028 is getting very old in the chainsaw lineup, made for many years but discontinued many years ago. One good thing is that just about every part on them are interchangeable between all models of the 028 lineup.

I think most off those parts are still available from Stihl and aren't very expensive. I can't remember on the 028 but on the 026 there are early and late versions. Clutch drum comes to mind as a part on the 026 early version that needs to come from a dealer. Late version can be had AM or OEM

Clutch drums on the 028 are very different from the 026 drums. The 028 has a fairly complicated clutch drum/oil pump drive setup. Oregon actually makes and sells a good quality set for the 028 as well as the Stihl OEM setup. They come in spur drive and a set can be bought to change them over to rim drive.

I just got a real minty 028WB back a while ago and am going to get some extras for it . The 1118 358 7700 fuel hose is still available and much better than aftermarket . I would not doubt those will be NLA soon .

i have yet to contact Stihl and have found what i believe to be an A/M boot and will be tearing it down within the next couple of days to see what everything looks like. the customer did attempt to start it as he dropped it off but said the fuel was old and probably needed to be flushed and filled, so i popped the tank and it was bone dry :laugh: i wonder if this is the real reason it hasn't been "reliable" and wont run for him:laughing:

i have yet to contact Stihl and have found what i believe to be an A/M boot and will be tearing it down within the next couple of days to see what everything looks like. the customer did attempt to start it as he dropped it off but said the fuel was old and probably needed to be flushed and filled, so i popped the tank and it was bone dry :laugh: i wonder if this is the real reason it hasn't been "reliable" and wont run for him:laughing:

Have seen that on so many saws that were dropped off....LOL

i've done it myself, wondered why the hell i cant get my saw to run. duh! out of fuel! should be the first thing i check before i yank my arm out of my shoulder. the ole fellow just kept yankin away in my driveway and was wondering why he couldnt get it to start "but a little fuel mix down the carb and it will pop and attempt to run" is what he said. wasn't till after he left that i figured i'd dump the tank and prepare to start rippin it down and not even a drop of fuel came out :laughing: he mentioned that awhile back that Chainsawr replaced the tank and then another saw shop in vermont said the intake boot was cracked and the part NLA. This may be easier than i first assumed but im hesitant to attempt to fuel & run it until i see the cracked or damaged boot. I hope the saw shop in vermont didnt just push him aside stating it was an unavailable part and sell him a new saw... we shall see, might have time later to start fiddlin with it

EDIT: my saws are always giving me crap in the reliability category when they lack fuel :laugh:

Clutch drums on the 028 are very different from the 026 drums. The 028 has a fairly complicated clutch drum/oil pump drive setup. Oregon actually makes and sells a good quality set for the 028 as well as the Stihl OEM setup. They come in spur drive and a set can be bought to change them over to rim drive.

i'll have to pop a pic up later but the spur drive on this thing is damn near cut in half. kinda hoping this isnt a NLA part also, drum is TINY compared to other saws ive played with. i think he said he was runnin 3/8's which i'll have to verify but you think Oregon has an available rim drive setup for the 028WB?

i'll have to pop a pic up later but the spur drive on this thing is damn near cut in half. kinda hoping this isnt a NLA part also, drum is TINY compared to other saws ive played with. i think he said he was runnin 3/8's which i'll have to verify but you think Oregon has an available rim drive setup for the 028WB?
Yes Oregon does and can be attained through a Stens dealer or any shop that deals with Oregon. There is an adapter kit that came with the ones I have done to adapt the rim drive clutch drum to the oiler drive. Stihl had that rim drive setup a few years ago but was twice as expensive as the Oregon setup was.

Id be dumpster diving! Thats bull****. How can ya do that to the working man. At least have a proper burial with a 21 gun salute. Or better yet keep em in the back stock room and keep the money rollin in. So sick of hearing Stihl tell someone that because of one NLA part, "over here we have the latest and greatest MS290 for all your cutting needs" just to sell a new saw. F that

Ive actually been having good luck finding some parts from guys on here. Love this site, like my secret weapon when these poor guys love their saw and only wish it would run again with very basic parts. Ive gotten alot of work just by having the option to locate many NLA parts. Theyre out there, just gotta do research. And i enjoy doing it for almost half of what a saw shop would charge. My local shop (at which i volunteered at one point this year) is killing people with prices. 2 oregon 20" 3/8's chains for 47 bucks?!?!!! Last bit of cash theyll see out of my pocket. Especially not even offering a discount for volunteering for em for 4 months... Blah

My reasoning behind not contacting stihl to begin with. Fuel hose is the only thing avail through them

Yes I know all too well. I work on and own many 028`s, my dealer`s parts man knows a good deal about the 028`s due to me discussing them with him, they actually had not seen or heard of 028`s before I started going there. They are just new to the Stihl lineup, been there maybe 5 years now and were so green when I first went to them they had not seen or heard of any Stihl saws that came before the MS series.

Yeah, talk about deadness on the other end of a phone line. Ask the tech guys at the distributor a question about
working on a saw with points........ After an awkward pause, they will suggest selling your customer a new saw.

Yeah, talk about deadness on the other end of a phone line. Ask the tech guys at the distributor a question about
working on a saw with points........ After an awkward pause, they will suggest selling your customer a new saw.

Greatpost

~Moose

Back