Stihl 029 Fuel Line Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GGP9909

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can anyone send directions on how to replace the fuel line. How easy is it to do, how long does it take?

THANKS

Can anyone send directions on how to replace the fuel line. How easy is it to do, how long does it take?

THANKS
Drain Fuel and fish fuel filter out through fill hole and remove filter and set aside, Remove Airfilter cover, airfilter, throttle linkage (depress throttle a bit till you see the top of trigger, pop/pry up, linkage out of trigger groove with small scewdriver) remove carburetor,
using long nosed needle nosed pliers(HEMOSTATS/FORCEPS) through fuel fill hole grab fuel line just below where it comes through the top of the fuel tank, using scewdriver end of scrench push on flange/gromment on fuel hose into the tank and pull down & out at same with pliers or HEMOSTATS,

installing new hose very similar to removal, apply a little premix to the bottom of the fuel hose flange/gromment inner lip, insert filter end from top of tank (notice the hose bulkhead flange will have a flat side, aim flatside toward filler hole of tank)

With hose postioned properly insert needle nose pliers (HEMOSTATS/FORCEPS) through fill opening again grabbing hose near top of tank, keep steady/slight pressure on hose pulling into tank

Gently pushing with scrench on flange/gromment (may have to walk around flange abit as you go maintaining slight pressure on from pliers[HEMOSTATS/FORCEPS]) and using tank top as a fulcrum to pull hose into the groove in the fuel line flange, roll carb end of fuelhose back into slot

Reverse first steps starting with installing carb, install throttle linkage reverse also, roll hook into carb first, give carb a little throttle with linkage then depress trigger a bit to line up linkage to groove in top of trigger then pop/press linkage back in to trigger with edge of driver check for proper operation,,,,,

install air filter and fuel filter, cover... This will work on all of the homeowner grade saws from 017 up to 390

Done in about ten/fifteen minutes {three minutes} See what I mean about last edited by Lakeside53??????

Last edited:
Yep, but more like 3 minutes.. but...

The trick is definitely to PULL it from the inside with big hemostats (they lock onto the hose; much better than piers) as you gently push it with a flat bladed screwdriver from the top. With a little lube (oil) it just pops into place .

Last edited:

The trick is definitely to PULL it from the inside with big hemostats (they lock onto the hose; much better than piers) as you gently push it with a flat bladed screwdriver from the top. With a little lube (oil) it just pops into place .

What the H E Double hockeysticks is a hemostats?

Pliers work fine if you dont have forceps/hemostats!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Lakeside53

What the H E Double hockeysticks is a hemostats?

Forceps,,,,, The big ones with the curved end or the ones with the big oval hole work best

3 minutes Probably for someone whos done a bazillion of them like you Andy!!!!

Hey GG9909 Just out of curiosity how long did it take you????

Last edited:
Last edited:
Being a non-mechanic, or idiot, I disassembled a good portion of the saw before I asked for assistance. Didn't realize how to take the carborator off. Lesson learned...do your research before you start a project. Took me about 15 mins, following your instructions, to take it a part. Picked up the parts this morning and hope it will only be 15 mins to reassemble.

Thanks Again...

No problem,,,

Glad I could help, let me know if you have any trouble,,,, Not to worry,,, Dont be so hard on yourself,,, Give Lakeside a little time to know ya,,, He'll be giving ya a hard enough time as it is :buttkick: We have all taken off a few more parts than required at one time or another,,,
You will feel better as soon as you get it running,,,, we might as well Mod the muffler and tweak the carb a bit while you have it down ehhh???????

It will give it a little snap in the throttle!!!!! :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

What size B/C you running on that puppy????

Last edited:
Back