Stihl 029 price

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't tell much from one photo, but it looks reasonably clean. Having to buy chains & especially bars can add-up pretty quickly; for the asking price I'd expect the seller to include the b&c.

Can't tell much from one photo, but it looks reasonably clean. Having to buy chains & especially bars can add-up pretty quickly; for the asking price I'd expect the seller to include the b&c.

It includes a bar and chain, but they might be junk. I hope they are decent.

Finally put this deal together and my 'bigger' saw hunt is over. The guy listed this on CL and then went on a business trip. :bang:
Picked it up tonight. I think it was worth the wait. Starts, runs and idles great.

Stihl 029 Super, Case, new chain (never used). $125.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Super...Super..good deal on a 029 Super..!!

The wait was definitely worth it..!!

The case and chain are worth $50..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Super...Super..good deal on a 029 Super..!!

The wait was definitely worth it..!!

The case and chain are worth $50..!!
:cheers:
J2F

That's what I thought and he was VERY firm on his price.

I'm going to buy an air filter and a scrench...and quit looking at Poulans 5020's. :msp_smile:

Nice purchases guys - think those are solid looking saws and like roostersgt, I think the price is decent for a relatively clean strong runner that hasnt been abused much

Can't say "muffler mod it" enough - open em up a bit, retune the carb, slap a sharp chain on em and you're set :) enjoy

Finally put this deal together and my 'bigger' saw hunt is over. The guy listed this on CL and then went on a business trip. :bang:
Picked it up tonight. I think it was worth the wait. Starts, runs and idles great.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You will do this to yourself one day if you don't buy it :buttkick:

That's what I thought and he was VERY firm on his price.

I'm going to buy an air filter and a scrench...and quit looking at Poulans 5020's. :msp_smile:

That was a good deal for 029 Super that looks like a low hour saw that wasn't abused :msp_thumbup:.

:monkey: Reagarding the Poulan 5020 comment............

I bought a 029 in 2003 on eBay for$150 shipped. I used it for 9 years and sold it on eBay for $225. Compression was as new and the piston looked great through the chaise port. I posted pictures of the piston and compression gauge in the auction which I think helped my selling price.

I know that these saws get a lot of bad press on this board but it did well by me. I sold it because I have a lot of saws and I neded cash to buy parts for a few saws that were dead when I bought them.

That was a good deal for 029 Super that looks like a low hour saw that wasn't abused :msp_thumbup:.

:monkey: Regarding the Poulan 5020 comment............

Regarding that comment.....I don't cut a lot of wood, (mostly help out my brother at his farm with storm damage, a little firewood, etc.), and was looking for a bigger saw than my 018c - which btw, has been great, but I've needed something with a bigger bar on occasion. The 018c will still get used the most. I think it's fair to say I use it like the typical 'homeowner' and nothing close to the 'professionals'.

The 5020 comments I've read here on AS show it to be a decent 50cc saw for the $$ and they have been on sale around here for about $180+tax new - so that was my reference. For what I really need to do and how it would be used, I think it's a good value. And from reading comments here on AS, it looks like most Poulans run better than some care to admit, and that has been one of their better saws....and I might be the poster child for the 5020 target market. :laugh: Just trying to keep it real - and about $200.

To be honest, if this 029 Super needed a New bar and chain and case and air filter, etc - I probably would have passed on it. I haven't worked on many chainsaws, but I'm not opposed to working on anything if it makes $ense. I fix a lot of small engine items as a hobby (mostly snowblowers/mowers/string trimmers) and do most of my own work on our vehicles and that has taught me one thing that most of you also know - all those 'little' things add up.

Which brings me to what has been on CL the last couple of months that I've been looking. A good percentage are either priced too close to new or very used and/or old and/or need work/parts - which make them overpriced too. But good deals do wash up on CL. I found this saw in the barter section and all it said was 'chain saw' (along with several other items) and by some sort of luck - and his poor description - I was the first in line and he was ready to barter for cash. I almost went outside my budget for a near new Husky 460 for $300, but that was the only other CL saw that caught my attention. Not sure if that was a good deal or not, but it was only a month old.

Since I don't deal with chainsaws much, AS has been extremely helpful in making sure I didn't get over my head and wallet with a new/used saw purchase. I didn't know too much about the 029's until I searched through and read topics here. I know this is probably too much info and I'm preaching to the choir as it looks like most everyone here is well versed in CL/Ebay/etc and used saw stories, but that's my story on this saw and my AS experience so far. :msp_smile:

Last edited:
Local Stihl dealer now has Stihl 'tune-up' kits - $14.95. I didn't think that was too bad for a Air Filter, fuel filter, and spark plug. Bought that and a scrench today.

Some of the sellers on Ebay/Amazon/etc better check their Air Filter prices. :msp_blink:

Last edited:
Local Stihl dealer now has Stihl 'tune-up' kits - $14.95. I didn't think that was too bad for a Air Filter, fuel filter, and spark plug. Bought that and a scrench today.

Some of the sellers on Ebay better check their Air Filter prices. :msp_blink:

For the MS290?

Yes. There is a snorkel on top of the carb.

Here's a picture of the original air filter and the kit I got from the dealer. You are looking at the original air filter. The new one is already on the saw.

The dealer said something about older 029's might take a different air filter, but the one in the kit was the same part as on the saw.

248148d1344639639-p1020707-small-jpg

248149d1344639650-p1020708-small-jpg

Last edited:
I bought a 029 new 16 years ago and it has cut over 40 cords with minimal maintenance. The saw still starts and cuts 20 inch Oak logs with ease. Nothing on it has ever broken. I do not know how the 029 "plain" model compares to a 029 "Super" model, but my 029 has been a great saw. I also recently added a Stihl MS 660 Magnum and a Stihl HT 131 to my arsenal. I say these two saws are really SUPER.

Heck, sell me your old filter. The dealer didn't suggest looking at all of the cracks in the fuel line?

Just double check, take off the new filter and ensure that the snorkel port is open, and make sure your old one is too.

Back