STIHL 029 Super Farm boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see a bunch of responses to this thread not seeing the "Super" part. The 029S (S for SUPER) came out in 1997 had a larger bore (46mm verses 45mm), 4.1 bHP (up from 3.75 bHP of an 029) and is a very sweet saw. It included a new compensating carb with a PARTIAL POWER jet to reduce the chance of lean settings when not used at full power - like for limbing or small firewood work.

The 029S is better than what is marketed today as an MS310 with a 47mm bore (to compensate for the restricted muffler...) but only 4.0 bHP...

Last edited:
j_krebs said:
.... If you take a look at the Stihl site for Canada you will notice the MS 290 is rated at 4.1 hp compared to 3.75 bhp on the USA site. Brake horsepower is understandably lower ...
Just to add to the confution;:laugh: :laugh:
DLG/KWF has tested the European (made in Germany?) versions of the 029 Super in 1999, and later the MS290.
Both are reported to have 46 mm bore and 56.5 cc.
Max power output is reported as 3.0 kW/4.1 hp (should be 4.0 bhp).

Last edited:
I have a 290 with an 18" bar. I just put a Stihl RS chain on it, and it flies through the red oak I've been cutting on. Takes about 1/2 the time to cut a truck load then it did with the RM2 chain it came with. I might try the RM chain though. I've read that some folks think it holds its edge better in dirty wood, and I'm cutting up firewood that the local landscaper is leaving for some of the homeowners in my development. I've cut about 10 pickup loads of wood with it, and it runs great. :blob2:

029 Super

I have an old 029 Super. After I cut and turn off the saw it will not start again for like an hour. It runs great when i get it going and runs great untill i turn it off. Has any one had this problem or know what is wrong?

I have an old 029 Super. After I cut and turn off the saw it will not start again for like an hour. It runs great when i get it going and runs great untill i turn it off. Has any one had this problem or know what is wrong?

Start by replacing the fuel line, if you already haven't. That is the problam on those most of the time. If it is cracked and you continue to run it, you'll sieze it up due to lean mixture.

Thank you

Thank you, I will replace the fuel line and see how it goes. Thanks for your Help. Will i be able to do this my self? I have have good machanical skills but i have not ever worked on This saw.

Thank you, I will replace the fuel line and see how it goes. Thanks for your Help. Will i be able to do this my self? I have have good machanical skills but i have not ever worked on This saw.

Here is your tutorial.

1. Drain all fuel out of the saw.
2. Remove airbox lid
3. Blow out airbox area as much as possible with compressed air. Try not to blast the filter itself with high pressure air, as it will force dirt through the filter
4. Loosen two air filter screws and pull air filter off (screws stay in filter)
5. Hold throttle wide open, and pry throttle rod off trigger at the front
6. Remove two 8mm nuts holding carb assy on
7. Use a small flat-blade screwdriver to gently press forward on the impulse line (lower right) and fuel line (lower left.) This is just to break the bond of the lines sticking to the brass nipple, and make the carb easier to remove.
8. Slide carburetor off the studs
9. Using forceps or a pick, fish the fuel filter out of the tank through the filler opening, and pull it off the line.
10. Using long, blunt screwdriver, push the fuel line grommet out through the top of the tank
11. Install new fuel line (it will be a tight fit)
12. Fish the end of new line out, and install fuel filter.
13. Re-assemble, and go cut wood.

I know a few people with 029's and although a good saw they do tend to have issues if not looked after and maintained (like most saws!).
Out of the 3 people I know well with 029's two have had the same problem.
All have been due to leaving old fuel in the saw and all have required full carby kits and new fuel lines which has fixed the problem.
The 3rd 029 is now a pig to start sometimes and I suspect it needs the same work. A couple of these were purchased back in 1991 though so have done pretty well considering.
Their owners don't exactly treat them too well either!

ok I have replaced the Fuel line. it went very good, I also cleand up the carb but it was not that dirty. anyway when i started up it ran good. after a few minutes i turn the saw off and some fuel was on the top of the tank. I thought that i had put in a bad line but upon furture investigation i found that the source of the fuel was the tank vent. Is there something that goes on the tank vent? so I have not had a chance to see if this has fixed the problem of not starting after running.

wood size will slow the saw more then the 20" bar.

the 20 and 16" will most likkly cut 12" wood bout exackly the same speed

but offcourse itl slow down cutn 20" wood while the 16" might be a hair faster cutn 20" wood past the bar tip

ok I have replaced the Fuel line. it went very good, I also cleand up the carb but it was not that dirty. anyway when i started up it ran good. after a few minutes i turn the saw off and some fuel was on the top of the tank. I thought that i had put in a bad line but upon furture investigation i found that the source of the fuel was the tank vent. Is there something that goes on the tank vent? so I have not had a chance to see if this has fixed the problem of not starting after running.

Here is a pic of a tank vent on an old 025.
It is the same vent that is on the old 029, a piece of fuel line with 2 setscrews in it.

ok that must have come off i will go look for it. Thank you for all your help. will let you all know if the fuel line was the original problem.

I was not able to find the vent hose but i had a old gas line off of a weed wacker, I put a screw in the end of the line and put it on the vent tube. I cut up one tree and turned the saw off and it fired right back up cut up another tree and once again it fired right back up.. That was the problem! a Fuel line and filter LOL. fast and easy fix. Thank you B200Driver and Fish. You guys have very Helpful.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back