Stihl 031AV - spewing oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc_hunter

Reaction score
Hoping someone can diagnose this problem for me. Father-in-law gave me his Stihl 031AV to use. Never has ran right. It's and older saw. Started it up the other day, and oil was spewing out from the muffler and running out over the handle...basically oil seemed to be coming from just about everywhere. Oil filler cap was on tightly... know that's not the problem.

So, am looking to see what the possible problems might be and what it would take to fix them. Like working on things myself if they're not too involved.

Thanks..

Welcome

Its more than likely fuel mix, If the saw is old (you said it is) Im sure it could benefit from a good carb cleaning and rebuild kit. They are cheap and availble from your local dealer or ebay. Or it could be like an 032av I tried fixing. The crankcase was filling with fuel. the carb was creating a vacum and flooding, even if you just moved it. I soaked the carb in cleaner for 12 hrs, brushed and sprayed again then rebuilt. Saw would not respond. Brought it to my shop...needs a carb. Sometimes it happens.

Latest posts

Back