Stihl 034 chipped piston trashed cylinder :-o

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rokon

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just tuned this extra 034 I had. Set the low jet, set the high in and out of the wood. Was walking back to the shop with the saw running, rolling the saw left and right as it idles. Doing little throttle blips here and there to make sure off idle jet is perfect. When it starts sounding like marbles on a piece of tin, then dead. Uh oh.

Took the muffler off and found a piece of piston and shavings in there. Below are pictures of the piston and cylinder after tear down.

I think it will buff out after a new piston and rings.....:)

100_2278.JPG 100_2278.JPG 100_2282.JPG

Attachments

• 100_2279.JPG
    100_2279.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 10
Those dings on top the piston and inside the jug look like they were done with pieces of bearing material.

Look over you lower rod and crank bearings VERY carefully, that rattling sound you heard is the death gasp of a bearing.

Yah, far more likely the low end went, and then took the top end with it.

Is that a huge vertical gouge at the top of the exhaust port there? Sorry to say, but I doubt that would buff out, and it will lead to really low compression.

So what are you planning to do now???

I think she (the 034) was politely asking for a good AM 036 top end and full rebuild... I think Randy has a kit to completely overhaul the saw for $200ish.

Back