Stihl 034 vs. 360

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willy1947

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a new chainsaw. I currently have an 034 and would like to upgrade to the new 360. My 034 is just fine, but I would like something a little faster and something that has the larger chain. I also have a 180 for a small saw. The 034 is starting to get some hours on it, but the dealer said it still had good compression and nothing was wrong with it. They offered me $200 for a trade in.

Both saws would be 20" bars.

Is it worth the upgrade or should I just keep what I have?

Thanks,
Dave

the 360 is a dieing breed it has been replaced in the line up with the 361 IMO stick with the 034 for a few more seasons till they work the bugs out of the 361 then swap em out stihls hold their value if you can get 200 for it now in two years it may be worth 175 but you will be trading to a saw that has been battle tested.

hmmm....

Maybe it was a 361 I was looking at. It was the newer one they had on the shelf. It seemed to be just the right upgrade. Not too much, but pretty comparable to my 034.

Thanks,
Dave

DO IT!

Now someone told you to do what you want to do.

SO DO IT.

Fred

Is your 034 a Super? If so, it would make about the same power as the 361. since it still has good compression, likely it is nearly as good as new. Just a thought. Just open its muffler, retune for proper rpm, and it will cut darn near as well as a bone stock 044.

upandcomer, from what I've heard, the 361, which has been out maybe 2 years now, is a darned good saw with few if nay bugs to work out....

$200 trade in is a good pricer on an MS361. There is a world of difference between the two - not just more power, but low vibration, better air cleaners and a bunch of little stuff that makes the 361 a joy to use and own. The 361 will run a 24 inch bar all day and perform reasonably well with a 28. For a firewood saw, 20 inch is probably the sweet spot, but that depend on the size of your wood. And I haven't even messed with my muffler (yet)...

Andy,

I own a 361 and have read on AS that the saw will handle a 24-25" bar. I live in Tennessee with most of my wood being oak and hickory (some standing, but mostly felled, clean wood). I have a 20" bar on the saw now, but would like to use a 24-25" so I don't have to bend over to limb. I'm 6'4".

I'm pleased so far, but if I mod the saw (woods saw mod), will the 361 be powerful enough to cut using a 24" and not bog or should I consider keeping the 361 as is and getting another saw for the bigger wood?

I realize my asking a general question like "should I get another saw" is akin to asking my barber if I need a haircut, but need some advice as to which direction to go.

Greg Lees

Last edited:
sold my 034 super on ebay, got a good price ($325 + shipping), but have regretted selling... that was one good saw!

willy1947 said:
Thinking about getting a new chainsaw. I currently have an 034 and would like to upgrade to the new 360. My 034 is just fine, but I would like something a little faster and something that has the larger chain. I also have a 180 for a small saw. The 034 is starting to get some hours on it, but the dealer said it still had good compression and nothing was wrong with it. They offered me $200 for a trade in.

Both saws would be 20" bars.

Is it worth the upgrade or should I just keep what I have?

Thanks,
Dave
034 to a 360, tant much differance. The 360 is history, you probly meant the 361. Since your 034 is fine and certainly paid for I gotta tell ya there isn't 589.00 worth of cutting speed between the 034 and the 361. If ya gotta itch for a new saw then by all means get ya self a new saw. Remember though you said you wanted something more, not less or equal to your 034. You'll like the 361 no doult but comparing the cutting speed you may well be disappointed because its not gonna cut a whole lot faster than your 034, some yes but not a whole bunch. The 361 is smoother though, way smoother but if power is your concern might wanna grab a 440,460 or wait till the new 441 hits the market. Alotta of people buy new saws of about the same size of the one they got expecting blazing more speed because its a newer model only to be disapppointed later on realizing that faster second or two wasn't worth the price of a new saw. If I were you, thank god your not me,haha, I would keep the 034 and jump to the 440,460 or wait for the new 441. You'd then have a 180 for small stuff, a 034 for mid size stuff and the new one for big stuff. I know, I know, yep you could do alot of things. I'm just letting ya know don't expect to saw off two blocks to one with a 361 over a 034, tant gonna happen...

rbtree said:
upandcomer, from what I've heard, the 361, which has been out maybe 2 years now, is a darned good saw with few if nay bugs to work out....
Right! :clap:

Another happy MS361 owner here - no bugs!

The 361 engine design is a totally new 4 channel design that act about as a Husky xp engine, not as an older (slow starting) Stihl engine. The useful power-band is also reputed to be wider than on the 036/360.

THALL10326 said:
.... If I were you, thank god your not me,haha, I would keep the 034 and jump to the 440,460 or wait for the new 441. ...
If you want to use a 24/25" bar a lot, I would also consider a larger saw. Long defeats the purpose of using the light and nimble 361 in the first place, and the power of the 361 will be marginal except with skip chain in soft wood....

In that case, forget Stihl - Husky 372xp is the logical choise! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Greg Lees said:
Andy,

I own a 361 and have read on AS that the saw will handle a 24-25" bar. I live in Tennessee with most of my wood being oak and hickory (some standing, but mostly felled, clean wood). I have a 20" bar on the saw now, but would like to use a 24-25" so I don't have to bend over to limb. I'm 6'4".

I'm pleased so far, but if I mod the saw (woods saw mod), will the 361 be powerful enough to cut using a 24" and not bog or should I consider keeping the 361 as is and getting another saw for the bigger wood?

I realize my asking a general question like "should I get another saw" is akin to asking my barber if I need a haircut, but need some advice as to which direction to go.

Greg Lees

I don't get to cut oak or hickory out here, but the length of the bar a saw can handle also depends on the size of wood being cut. If your 361 runs a 20 inch bar well, and you put a 25 inch bar on and cut the same size wood, there will only be a slight difference. 24/25 inch is popular on an 026 out here for ground limbing for the same reason you want it - less bending..., but don't ask it to blast though 24 inch wood.

You asked two questions though - "limbing" and "bigger wood".

For limbing you will have no problem with a 25, or even a 28 on your 361, and you won't need a "woods mod"... For bigger wood, I donlt kow - try it, and use full skip if you feel you want more chain speed on the longer bar.

Latest posts

Back