Stihl 034 - wonked clutch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimplene

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I've got a new to me 034, been working with it a bit & took it apart yesterday to have a look around cos it's not quite pulling as it should. Carb settings seem ok, new rim sprocket, clutch plate chain & bar. What I can't work out is if the clutch shoes are worn.

When you turn the shaft, the clutch assembly looks (by eye) like it's got flats in the centre of each shoe -- each shoe is more banana shape than part of a circle and the wonk is quite noticeable. The only thing I've got to compare it to is my 1 year old 260 & the clutch on that doesn't wonk in the same way.

So what I'm guessing is that the clutch shoes are worn, not engaging with the cluthc plate properly and need replacing. Does that seem right? What sort of tolerance should there be on the shoes?

Cheers

It can be the thing. Those 3 clutch irons can be worn and not propper aline with the new? clutch drum. Are all springs in place? Normally when i get that stinky smell out a saw from burning clutch ill check it and replace the clutch and drum as they give sign of wear.

Back