Stihl 034AV carburetor problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backtroller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 034AV has not been run in probably 10 years. I believe it was built before 1991 since it is badged "Made in West Germany" It also has the white tank vent. I bought it at a rummage sale and only cut down a 20" silver maple with it. It was then cleaned up, removed the fluids and put on s shelf. It looks like it was not used much by the original owner either.

Well Today I wanted to run it. I checked the compression and it hit 175psi. Removed the muffler and the piston looks new. I checked the fuel line and intake boot and those all look fine. The impulse line is fairly hard. I fueled it up and after about 5 pulls she started. As long as I kept giving it gas it ran fine, let go of the gas and it would die. I increased the LA and in order to keep it from dieing I had to have the LA high enough for the chain to rotate.

I removed the carb (Zama C3S) and the only "junk" I found in it was the factory sealer used on the welch plug. It was lifted and some of it was missing. I though that was probably the problem. I cleaned the carb throughly and removed the H and L needles. The L had been about 1 1/2 turns out and the H was only about 5/8 turns out. I put them both to one turn out. The diaphragm felt fine and the gaskets were still pliable so I put it back together. The main jet still was orange tipped and had a nice shape to it. The intake side of the piston was new looking too.

The saw started fine and again I attempted to set the LA since the chain was rotating. If I stop the chain rotation it will die. Finally, I was able to stop the chain but the L was then 1 1/2 turns out so it would not die but there was a huge bog when you hit the trigger and it will die. If I have an air leak I don't want to damage it so I was done for today.

So, I am planning on replacing the fuel line, impulse line, and get a carb kit. I am also thinking possibly a new rubber intake too? I am thinking I can eliminate the fuel system/intake then. Is this a good plan?

Sounds like a good plan. I'm surprised the diaphragms were in good shape - maybe compared to the new kit, they will look substandard.

your plan of replacing the rubber parts and a carb kit will most likely solve your problems, it doesnt really sound like an air leak. Change the spark plug while youre at it. Good luck!

Thanks for all of the quick replies. Is there a trick to replacing the fuel line on this model? Is it just fishing it through the tank side and pulling it out the hole until the grommet seats?

It is 10% of ethanol . Would "aviation form a gasket sealant liquid"work? I've used that on a plastic carb toro that was slightly warped and it seemed to hold up to this lousy gas.

What color? Just kidding. I'm sure I can grab something from my wife. Thanks for the information. I ordered all of the parts today. Hopefully I'll have it running properly by next weekend

Well I replaced all is the soft parts in the fuel system and rebuilt the carb. Runs the same. I can't get it to idle down enough to stop the chain from turning. I don't have a tach but the rpms are really low and it still spins. I think that gomoto69 might be right and it is the clutch. Can I get away with using an aftermarket clutch?

The same one is used on 036 360 right?

Pretty dirty looking. Not sure how it's suppose to look. I can move the springs fairly easy but they are not broke

If a new clutch/springs doesn't help out, and there's an issue with high rpms w/ at WOT or erratic idle, I'd personally put in new seals. They're the only "rubber" part that you haven't replaced yet. Although they require more effort, they are piece of mind and you already have the clutch off.
Re clutch: those 1125 clutches from the 034 were upgraded to the large spring clutch from the 1128 series I believe. I'm not talking about just the clutch drum upgrade, the actual clutch is different from the original 034 to the 036 Pro. Somehow those original 1125 clutches last forever, though.

Is there supposed to be a clutch washer between the oil pump gear/ worm gear oiler and the clutch itself? Mine does not have this and I noticed that a few clutch kits come with them. I apologize if I am not using the correct terms

Back