stihl 034av problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, doesn't sound too complicated. Just a dumb question, what is circa sandpaper? And I'm guessing I can get the acid at a local home center? I have been looking around, and on baileys, the piston and cylinder kit is 100 bucks, same on e-bay, found some for same price, but then some other ones for 2 1/2 times that price. And at baileys the OEM pistion only is 30 bucks more than the aftermarket piston and cylinder kit. Does anyone here have experience with the cheaper ones? I see a lot of peope recommend baileys and I really don't have experience with them to know.

6N hydrochloric acid (muriatic ) works fine but 12N will be faster and harder to obtain. Degrease everything first with kero then detergent, rough up the scores with wet dry paper, start with 320 then to 400 grit. Then use a q-tip to apply acid to the aluminum transfer, keep it away from port edges and anything besides the plating. Rinse with water and hit it with sandpaper again. Have some baking soda solution for mistakes with the acid, wear gloves and goggles.

I'd go with OEM if you can afford it, then with Tecomec/Precision tooling parts.

I saved a very nice freebee 036 a while back, the rings were annealed into the piston but I saved the jug. I did a rebuild and posted pics, do a search. 034 are almost the same animal......

Good luck and if more questions arise, just ask.........

Last edited:
Sorry bud - must be the English US thing - circa = round about, approximately, as near as so in my context "circa 400 grit" I mean if you have 320 or 480 then that is fine - would agree to start at 320 then end on 400 is fine - just don't go mad and take off all the cylinder plating - you can salvage some pretty horrible cylinders if you are careful.

Spud

I am going to order a new piston. Probably a meteor from baileys unless someone thinks otherwise. I thier site I didn't see an option to select an a, b, or c type piston. Just wondering how I would specify that. Also, should I order thier pistion gasket as well? thanks for all the help, pretty new at working on my saws so know-how is limited thus far. (not skil mind you, just know-how. :) )

That Meteor will work very well. Real nice looking piston they make. Make sure you check it over for casting flash, etc. Read old re-build threads. If you check the squish you may not even need a gasket. My guess is you will be ok without one but you should check.

Hope your 034 turns out ok.I just got a low hour one not too long ago.I would like to do the 036 conversion but you can still see the cross hatching on the cylinder and its blowing 170psi cold.
attachment.php

I owned and used to run a lot of the 034 supers and 036 and since the last 2 034's I used and owned ( still have 1 for personal use )are not supers and I run them quite a bit but haven't noticed a power differance without running them side by side. I just don't think its worth converting unless something is wrong with the 034 top end to start with.

I owned and used to run a lot of the 034 supers and 036 and since the last 2 034's I used and owned ( still have 1 for personal use )are not supers and I run them quite a bit but haven't noticed a power differance without running them side by side. I just don't think its worth converting unless something is wrong with the 034 top end to start with.
I wondered what the power difference was between the 034,034 Super and 036.I was going to open my muffler up alittle more on my 034 but it looks to be opened up big enough stock.I have had a few 026's and my 034 exhaust port on the muffler is way bigger than those.

I am going to order a new piston. Probably a meteor from baileys unless someone thinks otherwise. I thier site I didn't see an option to select an a, b, or c type piston. Just wondering how I would specify that. Also, should I order thier pistion gasket as well? thanks for all the help, pretty new at working on my saws so know-how is limited thus far. (not skil mind you, just know-how. :) )

Your jug/piston will be marked A B or C. The meteor website also mentions this.
I'd place a call too Baileys and they should set you up correctly

I wondered what the power difference was between the 034,034 Super and 036.I was going to open my muffler up alittle more on my 034 but it looks to be opened up big enough stock.I have had a few 026's and my 034 exhaust port on the muffler is way bigger than those.

I opened the 1 I currently use some. Don't remember how much and I didn't use it prior so can't say how much it helped. I've never been dissappointed with the power output with a 20" bar and 3/8 chain. It doesn't feel far behind my 044 dual port w/ a 76 dl 22" bar. It is very loud which hasn't bothered me as long as I wear ear muffs.

I have been swamped lately. Just started my new job as a lineman here at BGE in MD and havn't had time to work on my saw. Just looked on my jug for a a, b, or c and there is what looks like a B right above the spark plug hole, and there is an X right below that. Just wondering where to look

What is the displacement of the 034? What does it bump up to with the 036 jug and piston?

My dad has one (034 AV) that is ailing a bit and I'm wondering if it's worth fixing up...

Thanks,

LM

What is the displacement of the 034? What does it bump up to with the 036 jug and piston?

My dad has one (034 AV) that is ailing a bit and I'm wondering if it's worth fixing up...

Thanks,

LM
About 5 or so cc diff..near 60 cc for an 036.
Average price for an good usable 034 on ebay 200 to $300 depending on looks , seller rep.,etc.. If its a super on the higher end of the price range ,staight 034's usually a bit less.
Straight 034's handle a 20" bar great,are compact, easy to tote on person or in a vehicle. For me 1 of the most valuable saws to have . I have 1 I use and I'm not concerned about making it an 036 or super and I have run a few 034 supers and 036 saws for countless hours.

About 5 or so cc diff..near 60 cc for an 036.
Average price for an good usable 034 on ebay 200 to $300 depending on looks , seller rep.,etc.. If its a super on the higher end of the price range ,staight 034's usually a bit less.
Straight 034's handle a 20" bar great,are compact, easy to tote on person or in a vehicle. For me 1 of the most valuable saws to have . I have 1 I use and I'm not concerned about making it an 036 or super and I have run a few 034 supers and 036 saws for countless hours.

So what do the Stihl model numbers mean..... Nothing???

Truthfully, my dad's 034 has not been a very good saw. It was left on the self more times than not to use of all saws, a "Wild Thing" in it's place..... The wild thing just flat out started better, ran better and broke down less... Must have gotten an 034 that was made on a Monday, seemed like every time we'd use it, it would need $50 in parts....

LM

So what do the Stihl model numbers mean..... Nothing???

Truthfully, my dad's 034 has not been a very good saw. It was left on the self more times than not to use of all saws, a "Wild Thing" in it's place..... The wild thing just flat out started better, ran better and broke down less... Must have gotten an 034 that was made on a Monday, seemed like every time we'd use it, it would need $50 in parts....

LM

I'll give you TWO wild thingys for the 034

Back