stihl 034av problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok well I just worked on the jug for a little while today. Figured it would be smart before I order a piston. Anyway I used Hydrochloric acid (35%) and went over the jug (didn't seem to fiz or foam) and then sanded a little bit and there are two gouges on the exhaust side that seem pretty deep. In fact too deep to me. I just don't know how much to sand on the jug.

Last edited:
I seem to say this too much, but make sure you know why the saw fried in the first place. At the beginning of this thread you were asking why this would happen. It could be several things, straight gassed, lean failure from a bad crank seal, carburetor adjustment (still a lean out), bad fuel line or filter (still a lean out)...lol.

You need to search here for vac/pressure testing, it's too simple to do to ignore learning how it's done. You can put the saw back together then test it. But there's no way in hell I would fire it up before doing it. You would hate to fix it twice, right?

no I definitally don't want to fix it twice. The way it looks to me, is it looks like it was a catastrophic failure. I could be wrong, but it doesn't look to me like it happened over time. I'll be checking everything at any rate. (after I get it together)

So what do the Stihl model numbers mean..... Nothing???

Truthfully, my dad's 034 has not been a very good saw. It was left on the self more times than not to use of all saws, a "Wild Thing" in it's place..... The wild thing just flat out started better, ran better and broke down less... Must have gotten an 034 that was made on a Monday, seemed like every time we'd use it, it would need $50 in parts....

LM

I think the numbers were usually close to the cu. inch displacement but not exact and sometimes the newer models would have larger displacement but the number usually remained the original and Super or magmum added. I believe the 034 was 3.4 cu. in. originally.
You must of had a Monday saw and all that I ever used a lot made tues- fri. about 5 maybe more. The Stihl line isn't always perfect but they have done the best for me.

I seem to say this too much, but make sure you know why the saw fried in the first place. At the beginning of this thread you were asking why this would happen. It could be several things, straight gassed, lean failure from a bad crank seal, carburetor adjustment (still a lean out), bad fuel line or filter (still a lean out)...lol.

You need to search here for vac/pressure testing, it's too simple to do to ignore learning how it's done. You can put the saw back together then test it. But there's no way in hell I would fire it up before doing it. You would hate to fix it twice, right?
So, lets figure out my 034 saw's failure- It had decent power at the "end" and had become hard to start. Gas/oil is not the issue and yours truly has been the one to adjust it and so forth for it's 19 years of hard service;meaning lots of firewood and some logging on my place. A piece broke out of the piston on the exhaust side and the crankshaft bearings have either small coking particles or remnants of the aluminum never found and are a little rough. I dismantled the saw for analysis and repair and took it to a Stihl tech(really) and he sees it being most likely a worn out saw.I am paying him to do the lower end and pressure test. He said he paid over $200 for the tools to do the lower unit and that they are past $400 now. I was careful and able to disassemble without damage, but question if others are able to do the seals case and bearings OK without the right tools? IOW, getting to the home pressure test point without the right stuff? Another thing I learned about the pro level saws(other than the serial number under the lower case gasket) is that the crankshaft bearing holes are line bored on the pro line saws and that buying a used one one ebay/so forth is risky as they may not seal properly due to misalignment.
Side story:The first place I took the saw(Mongomery Tractor, Mt. Sterling,KY) for the lower unit service the mechanic was OK ? with the job but then next day the owner calls complaining of my using pre-purchased , non Stihl parts and wanting them to do a job they can't warranty(I never ask for a warranty)! I said that after 4 phone calls to order parts & ask a question(there) and asking if they were OK to do it parially this way that he had cost me two 60k round trips to haul the saw! I further advised him to tell his people what they were allowed to work on so that others would not haul stuff down there for naught.:chainsaw::mad::censored: Earlier in this thread the opposite happened with a $15 seal installation charge...

Latest posts

Back