Stihl 034AV upgrade to 036

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSturg

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on a after market piston and cylinder kit to upgrade To 036. Just bought a 034av the piston and cylinder is scored pretty bad. Don't really want to spend a lot on it. I still have my 034 that I bought new in 1992 it still runs great. Just wondering if rebuilding is worth it or just use it as a parts saw? This is my first time posting. Thanks

The thing with saving money and finding the cheapest option to bolt on for more HP, is often the "big bore" kits make less power that the smaller diameter originals.
Save the cylinder if you can, if it is not scored through the coating- it can be saved.
If you have your heart set on making it an 036/360, there should be plenty of secondhand cylinders out there, or look at the often recommended ones- Meteor and Hyway in that order I guess.
Cheapest would be as @huskihl suggests above, next might be secondhand 036/360 cylinder and Meteor piston kit, then the AM kits in descending order by price usually.

034's I had ran so close to the supers and 036 I wouldn't put a lot of effort in finding the bigger bore if your cylinder is usable. My 1st 034 super was 1989 or 90, had it about 10 years, ran another 034super and 036 during the same time span at my employment. Missed my 034 super after selling it and since picked up a couple 034's, used 1 a good while, and eventually sold it after picking up another super I still use. Hardly tell a difference with 20in bar which compliments the saw about perfect imo for both power and handling.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a after market piston and cylinder kit to upgrade To 036. Just bought a 034av the piston and cylinder is scored pretty bad. Don't really want to spend a lot on it. I still have my 034 that I bought new in 1992 it still runs great. Just wondering if rebuilding is worth it or just use it as a parts saw? This is my first time posting. Thanks
I have a 46mm OEM 034 cylinder if you need it, $50 shipped.

KIMG2954.JPGKIMG2956.JPGKIMG2955.JPGKIMG2953.JPG

oem 036 and 034 super cylinders are getting a lot harder to find and aftermarket stuff is just not on the same level for power, o34 cylinders are super cheap used in excellent condition, theres a couple on fle-bay for under 50 bucks shipped. I would tear it down and go through it from the crank to the carb and stick a used oem 034 cylinder with a new oem piston in it so it will last 1,000+ hours.

The Stihl 034super and 036 are basically the same. 48mm pistons where as the 034 had a 46mm piston. If the OEM cylinder can be cleaned up and reusable I would most likely be inclined to build it as a 034. If you can find a OEM 034super jug then build a super. I’ve built around 4 in both configurations. They are great saws! After marketing p&c are often a hit or miss. The quality control is terrible especially with the cylinder @ fit,finish and plating. I’ve used Meteor pistons with caber rings from Italy with very good results and I always use OEM crankshaft seals and piston wrist pin bearings. Some things I feel you don’t compromise on. Just not worth it in my opinion. I had just finished a Stihl 028 super and ordered both Hyway and Meteor piston. I sent back the Hyway. I felt more comfortable with the Meteor. Not to say that the Hyway was inferior because there is a lot of Hyway builds running strong! If you do decide to build a 034s or 036 you will need to modify the top cylinder cover or source an OEM because of the cylinder fin configuration and probably a muffler. No big deal! Keep in mind of a base gasket delete. If the squish is .020 or greater without the gasket it will increase compression and bottom end torque. You are essentially changing the port timing a little bit without grinding on your cylinder. Proper tools for installation of the crankshaft seals are still available from Stihl as well as most other parts for your Stihl 034. Good luck! On a side note: It would be a good idea to try to determine the root cause of the initial failure before attempting a piston/ cylinder change or upgrade. If using the original cylinder clean off the top of the piston. The piston will show an arrow and a letter. Arrow goes towards the exhaust port and letter is the piston skirt to cylinder clearance. Most are marked A,AB,B. Cylinder is usually marked on top center but usually the mark is rubbed out from the cylinder cover and vibration. Meteor pistons can be ordered either AB or B AB I believe are universal and are manufactured for either a A cylinder or B cylinder. I’m sure others on the forum could verify and or elaborate. Thanks

The Stihl 034super and 036 are basically the same. 48mm pistons where as the 034 had a 46mm piston. If the OEM cylinder can be cleaned up and reusable I would most likely be inclined to build it as a 034. If you can find a OEM 034super jug then build a super. I’ve built around 4 in both configurations. They are great saws! After marketing p&c are often a hit or miss. The quality control is terrible especially with the cylinder @ fit,finish and plating. I’ve used Meteor pistons with caber rings from Italy with very good results and I always use OEM crankshaft seals and piston wrist pin bearings. Some things I feel you don’t compromise on. Just not worth it in my opinion. I had just finished a Stihl 028 super and ordered both Hyway and Meteor piston. I sent back the Hyway. I felt more comfortable with the Meteor. Not to say that the Hyway was inferior because there is a lot of Hyway builds running strong! If you do decide to build a 034s or 036 you will need to modify the top cylinder cover or source an OEM because of the cylinder fin configuration and probably a muffler. No big deal! Keep in mind of a base gasket delete. If the squish is .020 or greater without the gasket it will increase compression and bottom end torque. You are essentially changing the port timing a little bit without grinding on your cylinder. Proper tools for installation of the crankshaft seals are still available from Stihl as well as most other parts for your Stihl 034. Good luck! On a side note: It would be a good idea to try to determine the root cause of the initial failure before attempting a piston/ cylinder change or upgrade. If using the original cylinder clean off the top of the piston. The piston will show an arrow and a letter. Arrow goes towards the exhaust port and letter is the piston skirt to cylinder clearance. Most are marked A,AB,B. Cylinder is usually marked on top center but usually the mark is rubbed out from the cylinder cover and vibration. Meteor pistons can be ordered either AB or B AB I believe are universal and are manufactured for either a A cylinder or B cylinder. I’m sure others on the forum could verify and or elaborate. Thanks
i have a lot to learn before i start this project. thank you

Latest posts

Back