Stihl 036 Pro, reasonable repair or should I replace?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eichhoma

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 036 Pro that has been a great saw for the last 15 years.... it has always run great until this weekend.
I was using it on Friday and it worked great all day... Saturday morning I go to start it and it wont start, wont fire, nothing... I bring it to an old friend that has done small engine repair for years and while he was looking at it, he turned it on its side and then it wouldn't turn over anymore? like its somehow locked up? He suggested I get a second opinion from someone that knows more than he on stihl's, but said i might be better off to buy a new say as i would likely put more in this saw than its worth. it wont turn freely by hand unless you push the piston down then you get a partial turn and it locks up again...seems like something is bent or broken...
Thoughts here on what I should do next? Has anyone heard of a failure like what he is saying? Thanks in advance, Mark

Good saw. Wouldn't want to guess how much firewood they've cut. Ring maybe. Pull apart, only way to know.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

remove the muffler and check piston/cyl. could also check coil to see if it came loose and locked it up.

Personally I'd fix it myself or find a guy on here who will do it. The modern equivalent to the 036 is a 362 which starts at a little over $700. There's lots of guys on here who can fix your saw for a reasonable price (probably) or fix it and port it, which will really impress you. A situation like this seems like a good time to have a saw done up right.

Personally I'd fix it myself or find a guy on here who will do it. The modern equivalent to the 036 is a 362 which starts at a little over $700. There's lots of guys on here who can fix your saw for a reasonable price (probably) or fix it and port it, which will really impress you. A situation like this seems like a good time to have a saw done up right.

I'm down for that.... several years ago a guy on here fixed it for me... A fella named Mike - really nice guy... it needed a top end and he ported it... its run great ever since. The local dealer here thinks the coil or a screw came loose and is interfering with the flywheel. Id much prefer fix this one if its ressonable as opposed to buying a new one... I tried to send a PM to the gentlemen that fixed it last time but it looks like he has not been on here in quite some time...

Did he take anything off while looking at it?
Maybe run a bolt in that's to long and fowl the flywheel?

Coil falling off could cause it not to start and to lock up

Your best bet will likely be meeting up with a member from the forums to give you a quick one-two on this sort of thing.
There are several members in Missouri who have built a saw or two.

Latest posts

Back