Stihl 038 Mag.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy (mastermind) didnt have time to make a video when he tested it after porting but said its awesome

Yeah i powdered the case and clutch cover

we've done a few saws now powdered and they come out sweet

thanks

hes done a super to mag upgrade and has a video on here somewhere its cool

I'm kind of feeling the love for this old saw too!! Bought one (Mag II) in a pile of neglected saws and really didn't think much of it, just an old looking dirty Stihl. It needed a new plug wire and a little compressed air. One day it went along to noodle up some big dead elm and boy was I ever impressed. Now I've opened the muffler a bit and removed the base gasket plus an 8-pin rim. Haven't had it out to run yet but anxious to find some excuse to run some more. I'm seriously thinking I don't even need the Dolmar's any more.

there both 52 mm

i think the mag ll was made in brazil , i could be wrong ?

other than that everything the same just updated

anyone else have any clues

there both 52 mm

i think the mag ll was made in brazil , i could be wrong ?

other than that everything the same just updated

anyone else have any clues

Mine is a plane magnum and it says made in brazil

So looks like with a drill and 2 more holes and a sharpie, I can have a custom Mag III :msp_wink:

Wait, I only have the super, so I guess I will have a super with a loud exhaust.

So looks like with a drill and 2 more holes and a sharpie, I can have a custom Mag III :msp_wink:

Wait, I only have the super, so I guess I will have a super with a loud exhaust.

I could be wrong but I think some mag II's had factory triple port. There's a couple of other differences between a mag and a mag II but I forget just what.

Mine has been to Masterminds for a visit. I love that saw. :)

I could be wrong but I think some mag II's had factory triple port. There's a couple of other differences between a mag and a mag II but I forget just what.

Mine has been to Masterminds for a visit. I love that saw. :)

Mines on the way back from Randys getting reworked per se

How do you like it from stock ?

I never ran mine stock

im going to run a 24 inch bar and chain

is yours the one in randys video ?

Mike

Mines on the way back from Randys getting reworked per se

How do you like it from stock ?

I never ran mine stock

im going to run a 24 inch bar and chain

is yours the one in randys video ?

Mike

I never ran mine stock either. I got it from a member here on the west coast and it went right to Tennessee. I haven't seen the video but I don't think its mine. I have a 25" bar on mine and its hard to bog. It would take a 28 very easily.

Buy some earplugs :)

Chris

I never got the saw. The owner never got back to me. I think they know that they don't havea mag saw and are trying to sell it as a MAG. I flagged their listing.

It seemed to good to be true and i guess it was. I couldn't even get a email response from the seller. As soon as i started asking questions the whole thing got a little weird.

I never got the saw. The owner never got back to me. I think they know that they don't havea mag saw and are trying to sell it as a MAG. I flagged their listing.

It seemed to good to be true and i guess it was. I couldn't even get a email response from the seller. As soon as i started asking questions the whole thing got a little weird.

Kudos for doing your research first rather than making the post "I thought I bought...."

Oh, well....

Let's face it, it wasn't an ideal situation.... I could feel you stressing out from here! It would probably be better to buy a big ol' saw like that from someone you trust... a member here, perhaps. Or, as a alternative, think about buying a wreck and rebuilding it yourself. It sounds like a great project and these guys would have fun talking you through it. I have a habit of looking at scorched wrecks on Ebay that sellers can't identify. After a bunch of looking at 038 pics (careful, they're danged hard to to tell from an 028 in a picture), I determined one particular Ebay hulk was an 038. I got it for $30, $25 to ship and it ended up being a mag with a good piston and bearings. Anyways, you get the picture. Patience rarely goes unrewarded.

Last edited:
The best bar for a Stihl 038 M is a 50 cm. Longer is not ok for 4,8 HP

RIMG0068-1_zpsa7db57d5.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back