stihl 038 oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e2d2

Reaction score
I own an 038 but, I'm not sure the oiler is working right. I pulled the bar off and ran it with oil in it and at medium speed the oil came out ,,spurt,spurt at regular intervals but not steady. Is this normal or do I have a problem? the temp was 40 degrees F. I've heard that thinning the oil will help but how much i'm not sure. Outside of that it seems to be a great saw.I tried it with the chain on, and running over a dry board but could see no oil streak.I'm running a 20 in. bar.

The 038 literally gushes oil... it's adjustable with the big screw on the bottom of the saw. Thinning is not required - the saw crankcase heats the oil... Try pouring it out when the saw is hot and you'll see what I mean.

It normally oozes at a fairly constant rate with the bar off. You may have a blocked screen inside the tank or a problem with the gears that drive the pump.

You can pull the circlip off the crankshaft, then the BIG clip that holds the cover on, remove the cover screws and the cover and clutch drum will come off. Make sure you gears rotate smoothly without any binding or melted areas.

Latest posts

Back