Stihl 041 Super - Pawn Shop Rescue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My father had an 045 AV. Bought it brand-new back in 1980 I believe, for $400.00

My youngest brother (now deceased) borrowed it. His son (my good for nothing nephew) now has custody of it. :nofunny:

Any chance of buying it from him?

I appreciate the, info, compliments and responses!

Never really thought about it in a 'collectibility' sense. Probably, like many of you, I just like quality old stuff and nostalgia.

These old "finds" are fun but I rarely come across them!

Yep, it's currently sitting, toasty warm, inside my apartment. Had her on the kitchen table when I got it home! :heart:

That's an amazing piece!! Never get rid of her. But if you do let me know first [emoji56]

As crazy as it may sound I've thought about THIS saw all day lol. I'm obsessed with 041 and 041 supers. I decided during my mud run if I were to have this saw I wouldn't change a thing. This would be the one saw I wouldn't change a part on so it stayed as factory as it is now. It needs to be in a glass case displayed for its beauty. Like I said I'm obsessed with the 041 and especially 041 super :)

That's an amazing piece!! Never get rid of her. But if you do let me know first [emoji56]

No plans, as if yet, to sell but you asked so you get first refusal if it happens. I would definitely offer it through the forum before ebay. I'm not much of a profiteer.

I rescued this old beast from a pawn shop yesterday. I bought a new 261 last fall and I was reluctant to buy this thing since, it seems, certain parts are unobtainable. I didn't need it and will not likely use it much but these old school Stihl saws, while heavy, seem very well made and indestructible. She's probably a bit cantankerous but I use an old school, carbureted, Jiffy Ice auger that doesn't quit and I often see people dragging the newer plastic stuff in for repairs.

Based on the condition, it seems to have had a relatively easy life. Has good compression and fired right up. The chain does run continuously which I gather is due to the idle screw setting.

I was looking through the forum and I guess some parts are very difficult to find. What parts should I be looking out for If I would like to keep this monster going? I don't work on saws but thought of maybe replacing plug, filter, fluids, etc.

Wondering if it wouldn't be worth having the local dealer mechanic go through it?

Paul
What a great find. If you ever find yourself in need of any parts let me know. I have quite a few used ones. Also many parts are interchangeable with the 041AV. Great saw, lots of fun. I love mine.

Back