Stihl 044 10 mm cutoff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamp363

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been on here more than once. I am just wanting to verify that the following serial number would be the cutoff for a 10 mm 044. Thanks

You have to pull cylinder to verify cutoff i wouldnt rely on stihl #s that no one understands

I'm sure this has been on here more than once. I am just wanting to verify that the following serial number would be the cutoff for a 10 mm 044. Thanks
That number has been posted many times to be the cutoff point but then again there has been other numbers posted also. The ser numbers are not a definite way to discern between the two.

My 10mm sounds different due to different port in cylinder and other things but anyway if its metal tag, older style air filter cover, and 4mm wide starter cover bolts then should be 10mm unless rebuilt differently

What is the fascination with the 10mm 044? Stihl upgraded the 044 for reliability reasons.
Same story with Husky and the 371, yet you dont see people taking an interest in them.
I'm interested in 371s and 10mm 044 and flat top 066 and tin back 064 and 084s and 08s attachments, and and.....
It's just the rarity/unusualness of the thing, not that I want to go earn a living with them

Serial number can be dodgy, especially if the saw has been rebuilt. Others can correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the slant fin KolbenSchmitt cylinder is another clue.

Serial number can be dodgy, especially if the saw has been rebuilt. Others can correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the slant fin KolbenSchmitt cylinder is another clue.
The 12 mm saws also came with the slant fin cyls for a period right around the cut off date, Stihl was using up existing inventory until exhausted.

29 583 701 is the cutoff. Prior to that it would be the 10 mm size. It should be accurate as the 12 mm crank won’t fit the 10 mm cases without either grinding the lobes or the big end of the rod, or clearancing the cases.

But I suppose it’s possible that they ran out of cases before cranks and used up the 10 mm cranks in the new 12 MM cases

29 583 701 is the cutoff. Prior to that it would be the 10 mm size. It should be accurate as the 12 mm crank won’t fit the 10 mm cases without either grinding the lobes or the big end of the rod, or clearancing the cases.

But I suppose it’s possible that they ran out of cases before cranks and used up the 10 mm cranks in the new 12 MM cases

All the ipls that I've seen give that serial no. So you'd think that give or take a handful of saws made from leftovers during the crossover period, that's it.
Of course most have been through a few hands since then....
It only takes 10 minutes to pull the jug if you want to know for sure

I am not up on the serial numbers but I checked one here that is supposed to be a 10mm and the number is 129 382 047 which is way beyond that, by a looooong shot.

I am not up on the serial numbers but I checked one here that is supposed to be a 10mm and the number is 129 382 047 which is way beyond that, by a looooong shot.
The first number of the serial number is the country code, and is not considered to be part of the serial number itself, so your 29 382 047 is well below 29 583 701.
Often Stihl will list the serial number of a change as X00 000 000 as the first number is not considered.

Thanks for the information. I have never paid any attention to the serial numbers. Now if it was a UT number on a Homelite then yes. :)

Latest posts

Back