Stihl 044 and Stihl 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crankcases, plastics, tanks, possibly wraps, cylinders aren’t swappable without a lot of work, and possibly more.
If you have the right 044 (wrist pin diameter) an 046 top end swaps on with about 5 minutes of work with a round file and a dremel. You need to slot the base holes a little and clearance the transfer tunnel so it doesn't rub on the flywheel.

Thanks, I wasn't looking to see how interchangeable parts were, although that's good to know. I was wondering which was preferred to own if you had a choice between the two.

Thanks, I wasn't looking to see how interchangeable parts were, although that's good to know. I was wondering which was preferred to own if you had a choice between the two.

What deye223 says above- the advantages of the 046 over the 044 far exceed any perceived disadvantages.

Not all 044's and 046's are created equal either. 10mm & early 12mm ( slant fin) 044's have more aggressive porting and perform & sound like a mildly ported saw. First year 046's are also noticably more aggressive in their porting. Its hard to beat an early 046 as far as stock 70 -75cc area saws performance goes.

Not all 044's and 046's are created equal either. 10mm & early 12mm ( slant fin) 044's have more aggressive porting and perform & sound like a mildly ported saw. First year 046's are also noticably more aggressive in their porting. Its hard to beat an early 046 as far as stock 70 -75cc area saws performance goes.

Yes, this.

I have found these guys run surprisingly strong, especially with base gasket delete (assuming squish remains OK, if a bit on the tight side). An early 044/20” is a great setup in Midwest hardwoods and it has enough grunt to just dog in cut after cut for blocking up bigger logs into firewood.

Yes, this.

I have found these guys run surprisingly strong, especially with base gasket delete (assuming squish remains OK, if a bit on the tight side). An early 044/20” is a great setup in Midwest hardwoods and it has enough grunt to just dog in cut after cut for blocking up bigger logs into firewood.
That setup cuts through our west coast fir and alder firewood like a race saw.

I think the 044 handles much better, especially with a short bar, but the 046 feels much more powerful in the 28-32” bar range. The 046 is also somewhat less pleasant to run as for some reason the vibration level seems greater than the 044.

But I run long bars for this size of saw, so for years whenever I didn’t run a 372XP and before the MS 441 was around I ran the 046 & MS 460. Stihl’s MS 461 is the best of the 1128 series saws, including the 044, 046, MS 440, 460 and 461. Much less vibration, better low end power, and easier on fuel.

I still have an 046, mostly for sentimental reasons. That saw has cut many a burning snag and hacked its way through more scrub oak and vine maple than I care to admit. It’s survived much more than I would expect a chainsaw to survive, and with some new plastics, ignition coil and plug wire/boot a while back hasn’t skipped a beat.

046 advantages:
More Torque
Better coil-has built in start retard
Bigger/Stronger Crank
Availability of HO oiler
Bigger tank capacity
Carb looks the same, but bigger Venturi in some models

Only disadvantages I know of are slightly more size and weight. Also, the case design is different that other Stihls, so the Dawgs are specific to it. Most of the inner/outer bucking spikes sold will line up on all models that Stihl makes. They will not on the 046 and 461, they are specific.

I have several of each and I like the 046/MS460 better as it is more designed like the MS660. I do not like on the PTO side the way the oil seal is on the ms440 as it is metal on metal to create a seal (can be problematic). Also the oil pump design on the ms460 is much better. As mentioned above the muffler, recoil, carb are about the only things that interchange without modifications. A good running MS440 is a really nice saw as well as a MS460.

Here is some good info on the oil seal and it can be a problem on the 044. The 046 does not have this bushing as the crank is heavier/bigger and the oil seal seals around the crank not a bushing were it is metal on metal..

https://************/threads/044-pto-crank-and-oil-spacer-bush-seal-question.7929/

046 advantages:
More Torque
Better coil-has built in start retard
Bigger/Stronger Crank
Availability of HO oiler
Bigger tank capacity
Carb looks the same, but bigger Venturi in some models

Only disadvantages I know of are slightly more size and weight. Also, the case design is different that other Stihls, so the Dawgs are specific to it. Most of the inner/outer bucking spikes sold will line up on all models that Stihl makes. They will not on the 046 and 461, they are specific.
Ported 046, have a 24" Total / Tsumara Light bar now.
47b6e4626fadb89c66f5a77e981fabb7.jpg

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

I have had and run both 044 and 460 saws a lot. I preferred the 044 far above the 460. Yes, the 460 has more power, but that is about it. It also has a LOT more vibration. It was noticeably heavier and more cumbersome to cut with. Put a CDN 460 dual port muffler cover on any 044/440 and it will be very near the stock power of the 460. Its a perfect fit, no adjustment needed other than retuneing the carb. The 044 is also limited in oil output to a 28" bar and the 460 does have an HO pump option (that also fits the 361 BTW). If you run a 28' bar or less that is not an issue though. Maybe in Oz where they cut hard ass euc it may be an issue.

By far and away, more pro loggers and fallers I knew and know preferred the 440 over the 460. They only went to the 460 when the 440 was phased out and replaced with the 441. Few liked the 441, including myself. I had one and rebuilt and sold it. I never had ~any~ issues with the 044 or 440 saws, oil seals or otherwise. Given a choice, I would opt for the 044 or 440 any day above the 046 or 460. Even the 660 has less vibe than the 460.

Today I would opt for a 500i and then a 462 over either saw though. Way better power to weight, light flywheels, less gas, and low vibration.

Latest posts

Back