Stihl 044 build/questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nnero

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My friend put a new piston and rings into his 044 about a year ago. It hasnt run right since and he asked me to look at so he can get it running right to sell. He thought it was the carb. It runs but wont idle or run at lower rpms. Pretty much acted like it was sucking air. I took the muffler off and here is what I saw:

So now it needs a new piston, rings, cylinder hone (at the least). Now we are getting to my actual question lol:

I would like to buy this saw from him AS IS. It is the powerhead only and he cant find the clutch over. Nothing is broken but the plastics have a few cracks. His paint job didnt hold and is now bubbled and nasty. I assume its a 12mm wrist pin (both nametags are plastic snap in) and has a Walbro carb. What is a fair price to offer him? Trashed 044s go pretty high on feeBay but I dont think they translate well to real world pricing.

I will put up more pics of the saw this evening. Thanks.

$100 at best. And I'd keep it for donor parts. If the case is nice, after you strip the paint bubbles off, have Mike (glock37) powder it up for ya.

Tank looks good. Recoil starter and carb base look good too. Cleaner than I thought it would be. How are the crank bearings? Any play?

Thought I would give an update. My friend wants to keep it but I am still going to go through it and he will pay for parts. The crank bearings are also bad. The cylinder is in good shape and the scores on the piston are super light (I may get new rings). I got the flywheel off but the clutch is being stubborn and still need to remove the tank/rear handle assembly. Are there any tricks to splitting the case? Thanks.

I just did an 044, there are 5 case bolts, take them out and I made a home made puller out of a piece of angle iron and used a two jaw puller to split the case

Looks pretty good to me. Even the tank/handle is intact, which is pretty rare on an 044. And it's got the 029/039 fuel cap upgrade, sweet! :rolleyes:

Will both the fuel and oil cap from the 029 fit the 044? I like the orange caps with the nub better

I'm almost certain that the oil cap is black an the fuel cap is orange, but only on the homeowner saws. Here's a pic of my old 029 Super. Sorry I don't have a better pic. image.jpg

Interesting, I never even thought anything about the caps lol. This has been through a lot so who knows. I will update as I make progess.

Finally have an update. Split the case and got the old bearings out. Three ball bearings from the flywheel side were gone. The center of the bearing popped out while trying to remover the bearing. I put the center and remaining ball bearings back together (held them in place with silicone) and it popped right out. Interestingly enough this bearing was made in Germany and the clutch side (which was still good) said Portugal. Does this mean its been apart before? Have new bearings, seals, gasket and intake boot on order. Ive been away from this saw so long I need to spend some time organizing parts and remembering what goes where. Ive been this far into a saw before.IMG_0703[1].JPG IMG_0704[1].JPG IMG_0705[1].JPG IMG_0706[1].JPG

Was there a heat shield between the muffler and cylinder on yours? I'm in the middle of putting a new piston in my 044 due to some piston scoring and the only thing I could find odd that may have caused it was the missing heat shield. I don't know that it missing will cause problems but I'm gonna put one back on it for sure.

The "portugal" on the side of the clutch side bearing is ok....that's OEM for that bearing. Don't know why it was Germany like the flywheel side??...

Got the bearings in; I think...Are they supposed to be perfectly flush with the inside of the case? I put the bearings in the freezer and the case halves next to the wood stove. I used a socket the same size as the outer race and tapped them in. I got the flywheel side in as far as I was comfortable. I assume the clutch side is supposed to be flush with the oil pump? I put the oil pump in and got it flush. Should I put the crank in the freezer? This is my first time doing this lol.

Latest posts

Back