Stihl 044 died (or is it?) :(

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarioMO

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
About 10 months ago I was cutting some Texas ebony and my Stihl 044 just stopped working. Prior to that it was cutting like a beast that it is. I tried re-starting it but it seems like there is no spark.

I got my Husqvarna 55R to finish the job and never really looked at what's wrong with my Stihl until now. I am planning on selling it and would like to get it working if possible (to get more out of it), otherwise I will sell it as a parts saw.

Question is, what are the "tests" I can do to determine if my saw is "dead" or the problem is simple enough to fix.

I just checked for fuel, clean air filter, and spark plug.

Oh, by the way...as a parts saw, how much can I expect for it on the average?

Thanks for any help.

Pull the plug out and ground the end of it on something metal and pull the rope over to check for a spark. No spark you probably lost the coil, or you could have a bad switch. We can get there later, first thing is to check for a spark. The coil will run around $65 if that is the problem.
If selling it is a real thought, last I knew Freakingstang was looking for an 044 parts saw, miht send him a PM?
Andy

Thanks guys!

I tried the test last night but not sure if I did it right.

Do I pull the cable out the spark plug and ground that? or
Pull the spark plug out and ground that (still connected on the cable)?

Not sure if I grounded the wire properly too...sorry for such newbie post.

Anyway, I tried both ways and didn't get a spark both ways.

Pull the plug and install it into the plug wire. Pull on the starter while holding the plug :) Sometimes the spark cant be seen in the sunlight. This method is for sure.
Mark

absolutely don't sell 044 for a parts saw until you take it by a professional chainsaw mechanic for a diagnosis.

that is if you can't figure it with all the tips posted...

there's only three areas that can go wrong and/or a combination

1. mechanical
2. fuel
3. electrical

DarioMO said:
About 10 months ago I was cutting some Texas ebony and my Stihl 044 just stopped working. Prior to that it was cutting like a beast that it is. I tried re-starting it but it seems like there is no spark.

I got my Husqvarna 55R to finish the job and never really looked at what's wrong with my Stihl until now. I am planning on selling it and would like to get it working if possible (to get more out of it), otherwise I will sell it as a parts saw.

Question is, what are the "tests" I can do to determine if my saw is "dead" or the problem is simple enough to fix.

I just checked for fuel, clean air filter, and spark plug.

Oh, by the way...as a parts saw, how much can I expect for it on the average?

Thanks for any help.

DarioMO said:
Pull the spark plug out and ground that (still connected on the cable)?

This way... Also, bend up the plug ground electrode so it has a 3/16 gap - you'll be able to see the spark better and this more accurately simulates the real conditions at 10 bar.

The 044 coil (0000 400 1300) is used on MANY stihl saws and is available cheaply on the used market. For example, the 029 coil is identical, but often sells for much less used than the 044 coil - go figure..

powelllake said:
Pull the plug and install it into the plug wire. Pull on the starter while holding the plug :) Sometimes the spark cant be seen in the sunlight. This method is for sure.
Mark

I guess I can try that...hope the jolt won't be too much :D

Thanks guys. I am off to eBay and see the coil prices...just in case ;).

Back