Stihl 044 fuel line help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonstc6

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a stihl 044 I am rebuilding. I am almost done and I have a NOS oem fuel line. It seems like the fuel line grommet is too big for the saw. Was there two different fuel lines for the 044?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a stihl 044 I am rebuilding. I am almost done and I have a NOS oem fuel line. It seems like the fuel line grommet is too big for the saw. Was there two different fuel lines for the 044?

Thanks

Yep. And I'm guessing the one you have is for later models and it also fits the MS440. I had the same problem with an 036. Ended up drilling a bigger hole in the tank, because those thicker lines is all that's available to me.

Any tips on getting it installed? I’ve never had any problems before.

Any tips on getting it installed? I’ve never had any problems before.

Like I said, I drilled mine out. Slightly smaller hole than the diameter of the portion between the inside and outside grommets, put a little 2-stroke oil on it, poked the grommet with a dull flathead a few times to push it in and that was it. Before drilling it's good to drain any fuel and I also put a piece of paper inside the tank to collect the shavings. Deburred with a larger drill bit and sandpaper. On mine the inside grommet was smaller, so I put it in from the top. I couldn't get my line in without enlarging the hole, no chance. Even if I did, it probably would have pinched the line and the saw would starve.
I find the new lines to be superior actually.

LOL, I have two to do .
I have a aftermarket oregon fuel line and a green stihl fuel line.
And both saws are 044 but have a lot of differences.
I got them in a box .
Could be interesting,,

Are you sure they gave you the proper line? Does it look like this?
I grease the grommet area, insert the line from the top of tank, use long nose pliers thru fuel cap opening and gently pull down to seat grommet.

s-l225.jpg

Are you sure they gave you the proper line? Does it look like this?
I grease the grommet area, insert the line from the top of tank, use long nose pliers thru fuel cap opening and gently pull down to seat grommet.

s-l225.jpg

That’s the line I have

Like I said, I drilled mine out. Slightly smaller hole than the diameter of the portion between the inside and outside grommets, put a little 2-stroke oil on it, poked the grommet with a dull flathead a few times to push it in and that was it. Before drilling it's good to drain any fuel and I also put a piece of paper inside the tank to collect the shavings. Deburred with a larger drill bit and sandpaper. On mine the inside grommet was smaller, so I put it in from the top. I couldn't get my line in without enlarging the hole, no chance. Even if I did, it probably would have pinched the line and the saw would starve.

It sounds like I’ll have to do that, it’s hard to get the drill bit in without it being at an angle

It sounds like I’ll have to do that, it’s hard to get the drill bit in without it being at an angle

Yeah, not easy to access. May not be the prettiest job ever, but even if it's at an angle, as long as the hole is slightly smaller than the diameter of the line between the grommets, it has no chance but to seal. There's really a grommet overkill on those lines.

After a quick research, it seems like both the #1128 358 7703 and #1128 358 7701 lines go on the 044/MS440 and apparently also that Oregon one Bob posted a picture of.

If it can be done without drilling, just with a different fuel line it's even better of course. I just can't comment on the availability of those. I'm very far away.:)

After a quick research, it seems like both the #1128 358 7703 and #1128 358 7701 lines go on the 044/MS440 and apparently also that Oregon one Bob posted a picture of.

If it can be done without drilling, just with a different fuel line it's even better of course. I just can't comment on the availability of those. I'm very far away.:)
Great thread.

I dont like the look of the carb end on the oregon, but will check..
Dont forget both my saws are different, I just havent had a close look at the fuel line and tanks,,
One saw had smaller screws and holes on the starter and brake flag. Cant be swapped.
And somewhere else but I forgot,,,

The black line looks like the large grommet 1127 358 7702 fuel line like on an 036/034/029 etc.
The green line looks like an 044 line.
You probably correct, the place I (the wife) got it from just took over a stihl dealership, they are newbies, and the parts guy was out, this guy was from the shop,,
Shop is now stihl husly echo.
Im down to 20 saws so no rush,,

I beleieve the green is the same as black, just denotes that it’s designed for safe use with ethanol fuels.

As said above, that Oregon line seems sneakingly familiar to the new style 026/036 line. It’s always a drag when you buy the S line to replace and find the straight line in them.

Back