Stihl 044 Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xd40sw

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m starting to work on an old 044 that I’ve had laying around for a while. I plan on putting a carb kit in, and replacing the impulse and fuel lines. But I’ve noticed that it’s leaking bar bar oil from either the rear bar stud or something right above it. It’s not a screw, but it appears to be cylindrical.

5b5cd59012bf7ef43bbdc0d6205b8684.heic

Does anyone know what this could be? I would much appreciate an exploded parts diagram or service manual if anyone has a PDF version they’d be willing to send? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to say I don’t know what that is, the 261 also has the same feature. I’ve been curious but embarrassed to ask also. Kind of looks like it feeds a drop or two of oil to the chain tensioner, not sure.

Do the oil tank vents normally fail? It looks to me like the paint is separating from the case right there and leaking through the paint.

Also, does anyone know the part # for a carb kit? My local dealer just quoted me $51.99 for a carb kit!

39c9b431063f5eecd4c5da381d660dbf.heic
696885e365491dcbd58bb2894af556f3.heic

Thanks.

So, I blew compressed air into the center of the oil tank vent. It is definitely leaking around the perimeter of it. My best idea is to drift it out, clean the flaking paint off the case, then reinstall with a dab of RTV around the outside. Any other suggestions?

Don't use RTV

I think after I clean the loose paint out of there, the I.D. of that bore will not provide a proper interference fit with the vent. I need some way to seal it. I’m open to suggestions.

I just can’t afford a new case at the moment. The saw was given to me by a friend. He used to fall timber for some place that starts with a W. Long story short, it was rode pretty hard. I’m on a pretty tight budget trying to get a better firewood saw going. I’ve got a 362C, and a pair of 290’s. But I want to cut bigger wood!

Thanks for the replies. I’ll clean it up good and use a dab of one of the recommended sealants. I was so surprised when they told me $51 for a carb kit, I walked out. I forgot to order the vent. You guys ever heard of that much for a carb kit? I had to drive 23 miles to that dealer. The next closest one is about 45 miles, but it may be worth it?

Thanks for the replies. I’ll clean it up good and use a dab of one of the recommended sealants. I was so surprised when they told me $51 for a carb kit, I walked out. I forgot to order the vent. You guys ever heard of that much for a carb kit? I had to drive 23 miles to that dealer. The next closest one is about 45 miles, but it may be worth it?
Order it on line, that’s what the dealer does.

I was so surprised when they told me $51 for a carb kit, I walked out. I forgot to order the vent. You guys ever heard of that much for a carb kit?
Welcome to Stihlhood. A fanboy will be along shortly to tell you that part prices don't matter because they don't break:clap:

Latest posts

Back