Stihl 044 rebuild,part numbers req.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am in the process of rebuilding a couple of Stihl 044`s and only have the IPL`s for the MS440. I would like to have an IPL for the 044 but all I really need now is the OEM part number for the p & c that fits the newer 12 mm pin piston.
Pioneerguy600

I am in the process of rebuilding a couple of Stihl 044`s and only have the IPL`s for the MS440. I would like to have an IPL for the 044 but all I really need now is the OEM part number for the p & c that fits the newer 12 mm pin piston.
Pioneerguy600

pm me your address and I will send ya one.

Many thanks guys for that fast response,there was a little controversy around the shop here as to if the same p&c for the MS 440 was the correct one for the older 044 with the 12 mm pin. Pioneerguy600

Ok ; now I have a chance to get an NOS P&C part number 1128 020 1213 but the seller does not know what it fits and does not have the means to measure the pin, does it sound like its for a 10 mm pin piston? Pioneerguy600

IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg

This is where I was on the tear down last evening,notice the bearings on the flywheel side,this saw was still running!

Ok ; now I have a chance to get an NOS P&C part number 1128 020 1213 but the seller does not know what it fits and does not have the means to measure the pin, does it sound like its for a 10 mm pin piston? Pioneerguy600

Looking at tech notes, 1128 020 1213 is the old part # for the 10mm pin.

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

Just completed a rebuild on this one on Saturday morning and then took it out for a couple hours cutting, works excellent,only needs three new clutch springs and it will be sent off to cut hardwood for a couple more years.
Pioneerguy600

IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

Put all the parts in bags and compartmentalized storage boxes etc then in a big box to make it easy to find all parts for reassembly, I even sort all the screws and mark their positions and uses,use nuts to keep machine screws in place in individual part pieces or pieces of tape on the threaded ends. All parts cleaned off and awaiting the dishwasher, then reassembly when the new parts arrive.
Pioneerguy600

Sweet score on the 028 Super! I just bought a nice one off the trading post. If it ever cools off outside I will try it out for real! :clap:

Sweet score on the 028 Super! I just bought a nice one off the trading post. If it ever cools off outside I will try it out for real! :clap:

Thanks, you know that until last winter I had never paid any attention to the 028`s, then I picked one up from a local fellow that had piston damage, paid $50. for that one and found a new piston for it and while it was apart I got ambitious and did some port work on it,shaved the base,raised the squish and comp .It has 14 thou clearance piston to head,and no base gasket used. Together now and muffler modded with ten tanks of gas run through, it will outcut our MS 260 by a long shot . Currently turning 12000 rpm with a new 20 " Rollamatic E bar and 325 RSC chain its one fast cutter in 12 to16" hardwood but I use it mostly for limbing. I now have four of them and just cant pass up when I find one for sale under a$ 100., actually never paid more than $80. for one yet. Pioneerguy600

Back