Stihl 044 rebuild,part numbers req.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

This is the piston from the 044 with around 2000 hrs run time, the saw still had 130 lbs compression when the bearing let go. Very little carbon on it and quite clean,only Stihl mix oil ran through this saw at 40 to 1 and top grade gas. Anew piston and rings will go back in this rebuild.
Pioneerguy600

IMG_2044.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/Myersv/SIaUf2ZnBGI/AAAAAAAAA4Y/YCm2qR17fJk/IMG_2043.jpg?imgmax=512[/IMG

[IMG]http://lh4.ggpht.com/Myersv/SIaUl42ymcI/AAAAAAAAA4g/RIVKNQPbIhc/IMG_2042.jpg?imgmax=512

The same piston cleaned off, not really much wear or damage for the hours on it. Pioneerguy600

Nice pics of the 044 your working on, I like how you organize parts. I also like 028 pics too.:cheers:

Thanks Rookie 1; Sometimes I have three or more saws apart at a time waiting for parts and a half dozen or more vintage saws under restoration so the parts would be scattered all over the place and I would spend more time looking for them than putting them back together. Some of the vintage saws have taken more than a year just to find and assemble the parts so storage is a must. Good organization,pictures and a good storage system allows me to part down,store and retrieve saws and parts without the wasted time of digging through countless boxes with everything thrown together in them and not labeled.
Pioneerguy600

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

Some one else had hacked up the front cover and brazed on two pieces of pipe from the back side and they were cracked and hanging off the cover so I made up two new pieces and mig welded them on the front. Not sure if I will use this one on the saw when its rebuilt but at least its back together for now. Pioneerguy600

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

The case split apart and the rough cleanup is done, it will be run through the dishwasher before reassembly to remove all dirt and grit. The paint will also be done after washing.
Pioneerguy600

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

The old cylinder has a lot of hours on it and a small chip of the lining has come off near the exhaust port so a new cylinder will be used, it is a OEM Stihl cylinder made by Mahle. A new piston and rings are on the way so all should be tight on the top end when reassembled.
Pioneerguy600

Have you comapred the porting of the older style (right) than the cylinder on the left? They both work, but the transfers are interestingly different.

Have you comapred the porting of the older style (right) than the cylinder on the left? They both work, but the transfers are interestingly different.

Yes Lakeside I did a visual check yesterday when I dug the Mahle cylinder out from old stock and I thought there would be some significant differences but with a quick check over the porting looks the same. The fin area and layout on the exterior was the biggest difference that I could see. I will get the measuring tools out this evening and do some measurements on the port sizes and their spacing. By eye they look identical, maybe I need better glasses but will post what I find tonight.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
After some more checking in to the transfer ports they are very close to identical. The two numbers on the cylinders are the same ( 1128 ) and they measure the same in the bore and depth from the base to the cylinder head. The transfer port sizes and spacing are identical for all practical reasons,only insignificant differences of a couple thou. in width and slight shaping differences. This saw has the 12 mm piston pin, are the cylinders any different on the ten mm pin models? PIONEERGUY600

I had some cutaway cylinders in a post a couple of years back, and I lined up both halves of the two different cylinders for comparision.

maybe someone can find them with search? ;)

I had some cutaway cylinders in a post a couple of years back, and I lined up both halves of the two different cylinders for comparision.

maybe someone can find them with search? ;)

So are the differences in the casting of the porting in behind the windows where they can`t be seen without cutting the cylinders in half? I really don`t want to do that with this one. LOL . However I thought I might try to do some porting work on the old cylinder as its in good shape,just high hours on it and has a small nick or flake of lining off at the exhaust port that could be taken out by widening the exhaust port a bit. I read that you can widen the intake and exhaust ports a bit but not to raise or lower them much to affect timing and compression.Oh well thats another project for another day. LOL
Pioneerguy600

I typed in every thing I could think of and the search came up with lots of good info but not the cut away cylinders. I read posts for hours and finally got too sleepy to continue. Glad you saved me another night of searching, really interesting porting on those cylinders, they don`t look like mine. Are the both of them stock, with out anyone porting them? Pioneerguy600

Not much happening with the 044 today as all the parts I have on hand are cleaned up and still awaiting bearings and the piston. The flywheel side bearings are the holdup and are a dealer only part around here. I have ordered more than one set this time around and have six of the clutch side bearings on hand with lots of seals and gaskets on hand as well.So I will post picts of my favorite belt buckles instead of parts picts.

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg

Latest posts

Back