Stihl 044..where is the spacer??? help...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sn0wy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, had some spare time today to check a few things on my badly abused 044 I bought. I have just removed the clutch from the saw to inspect what else is wrong, found huge amounts of oil soaked saw dust etc, but one thing has got me stumped here... I took the oil pump off and the worm gear basically fell out onto the shop floor which i thought was odd as that must have been just sitting there...strange..I took the oil pump off for a good clean and inspection and here is the odd thing. I ran over my Stihl 044 IPL and noticed that there is a part called the worm gear spacer?, which is not in my saw.???? now I dont know if the previous owner had an attempt to rebuild her before me but is this meant to be here???? did Stihl change the design/revision of this saw to NOT included it?. My saw doesn't have the serial number due to it being eroded if anyone asks.

Got some pictures below to explain a little further.

oil spacer.jpg

044 clutch side.jpg 044 oil pump.jpg

Did this saw ever run in your possession? I'm confused how it ever passed a pressure / vac test. Without the spacer in there the oil seal has nothing to seal against...

Did this saw ever run in your possession? I'm confused how it ever passed a pressure / vac test. Without the spacer in there the oil seal has nothing to seal against...

nope it was purchased as a "NON runner" so my impressions is that someone tried to fix it or attempted too..and either gave up as they didnt know what they were doing and along came me to work out what the hell happened????

Hey lads, well OEM parts arrived, was a good time to inspect the cylinder and piston. So took the cylinder off an below are some pictures, would be good to hear your thoughts on the condition here. I think the cylinder is all good very smooth an no gauging.The piston seems to be ok too but the coating ontop? Is this normal? Could this be just rich mixture?

Also how much play/slop if any should there be on the rod that connects to the crank? I wiggle the rod and there is some play/slop there. Its smooth when turning though. Also on the flywheel side, it looks like there are 3 bolt holes which somthing attaches too, just wondering what?

cheers

20160701_091623_001 (Mobile).jpg 20160701_091344 (Mobile).jpg 20160701_091355 (Mobile).jpg 20160701_091417 (Mobile).jpg 20160701_091318 (Mobile).jpg 20160701_091327 (Mobile).jpg 20160701_091436 (Mobile).jpg

I watched this video on youtube as it basically what Im trying to explain

Latest posts

Back