Stihl 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I had that kind of luck!. Every MS460/046 I find is beat to death needing tons of parts, and they still want $400.00 plus for them!. I hate to buy a new one to test my 460 big bore kit, but I might have to.

I have a couple 046/460"s and with a muffler mod and retuned they pull a full comp chain on a 28" bar no problem.

My 460 wears a 28 and generally runs full comp, too. Bar-buried in oak was a tough cut, but accomplished without issue. I have a 1/2 day under my belt with full skip RSC, quite an experience. It's hard to imagine waaaaay back when my 290 with an 18" bar was the big saw.

Oh, I've got the dual-port, properly set carb, too. I floated the HO oil pump P/N to my wife for Christmas ideas - not that I have noted oil issues, but why not optimize?

Congrats on the saw! Yes, pics please!

I'll get pics in a few days. The saw was dirty and I didn't take pics before I cleaned it. I still have some work to do on the bar.

Just a quick rant but I hate those laminated Stihl e bars.

You just picked up a MS460 for $250 and your sniveling about the bar?

Every e bar that I have seen on a saw be it a 026/044 or my new 460 has had blue rails and one hell of a burr.

I also don't think that any (PRO) saw should have a laminated bar. But that is my opinion.

I am thinking about muff modding this saw and when I took the front cover off what i saw was only one channel shaped baffle in front of the exhaust port. Is this right?

I don't want to buy a DP cover so i am planning on opening up the stock exit hole and drilling some holes in the baffle.

Anyone with advice in muff modding a 460 pleas share.

Back