Stihl 056av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good ole’ boy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m currently bidding on a very nice looking 056av electronic quick stop on eBay. The compression seems to be low around 125 psi, I was wondering if the magnum 2 piston/cylinder would fit on the saw without any modifications other than the muffler. I don’t know much about these older saws so any input would be appreciated about price etc. the add says it runs great and it comes with a 24 inch bar. Can it be used with the low compression or should it be torn down and inspected?

I would be very hesitant about this! Bought 2 "nice runners" and had to work on as soon as I unboxed them. Their definition of a saw and how it runs may be miles apart from yours! my .02 !These saws with a "bosch" ignition are notorious for ignition failure. Have owned at least a dozen of these dinosaurs.

I wouldn’t bid again. There are a few different variants of ignitions. The 056 might have points which would be ok but if it has the sema system you will be dropping some coin soon for the Bosch system. Which requires a different coil as well. Wait for a torches magII it will be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t bid again. There are a few different variants of ignitions. The 056 might have points which would be ok but if it has the sema system you will be dropping some coin soon for the Bosch system. Which requires a different coil as well. Wait for a torches magII it will be worth it.

Sorry coil and flywheel set up.

thanks for the quick replies, I’m probably not going any higher than $150 for it. Some of the add says, “He never used it full-time. By the thick layer of dust and grime on it when I got it, it was just sitting there for quite a few years. No spark, so I ran emery cloth between the points. They were fuzzy and corroded. Nice spark then.”

Also how do they compare to more modern saws? The biggest I’ve run is a ms460 and currently own an 028 super. It would be used very infrequently so the weight doesn’t concern me. One plus is that it appears to have a chain brake.

I see the saw you're talking about. Its in good shape. Pretty likely the piston is scored. I bet it sells for $250 or more.

Those clean up really well. Even the dullest of paint on them can be buffed back out. I've taken multiple 056's that looked like crap and made them look amazing with just cleaning and buffing.

I call BS on most of the stuff he said in that ad. Original bar, unlikely. Low hour, maybe but more like normal use. If its really points then the flywheel, ignition, and crank were swapped out. To run points you need a lobed crank which the electronic saws don't have. Usually the bosh ignitions suffer a exposed ground wire, and the sem often have coils go bad. Ive also had a few sem ignitions flat out go bad them selves.

In my opinion you won’t be gaining much over the 460... if you like the old ones seriously just hold out for a 056 mag II local. I bet you will get a better deal.

In my opinion you won’t be gaining much over the 460... if you like the old ones seriously just hold out for a 056 mag II local. I bet you will get a better deal.

Thanks for your help, hopefully I’ll be outbid and I’ll look for a mag II. Honestly I’d like to pick up a 460 but the prices are out of my budget.

Back