Stihl 064 any interest?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got an older 064, I rebuilt new stihl piston and cylinder, aftermarket crank/connecting rod, but stihl bearings and seals

has a new 3/4 wrap, and 36" still light bar thats been abused but is still servicable

Saw has a few gallons of 40-1 through it and is running pretty ok (still some carb issues i have a spare that may get thrown on)

anyhow, I know I've put to much into this saw to get anykind of return on it, but what its worth to you folks if I where to sell it, keep in mind I haven't decided on selling it yet as I kinda like running it.

I'm sorry, I fell asleep before the saw fired up Matt.
I think you are a good ol' honest guy so I'll start the bidding at 75 usd to get things rolling. J/k
Question: Has the fir dust ever brought you down to your knees and elbows coughing up a lung for 10 min?

I'm sorry, I fell asleep before the saw fired up Matt.
I think you are a good ol' honest guy so I'll start the bidding at 75 usd to get things rolling. J/k
Question: Has the fir dust ever brought you down to your knees and elbows coughing up a lung for 10 min?

Well, I try to keep my face out of it... But I've inhaled some Hemlock chunks that stuck with me for a week or 2.

I sold mine for $500. Cosmetically it was average, mechanically it was perfect. No bar.

I'd probably keep the bar.

List the saw for a price you're happy about then it doesn't matter whether it stays or goes. I was happy with 500, $350 and I would rather have the saw.
Well said.

Threw the spare carb on it today.

Much bettererrer gots some snap to it now, had plenty of torque before but not much get up and go.

Mine pulled a three foot bar in oak and Maple pretty well but my 460 is definitely snappier. Which is the opposite of how I imagined it. I didn't fiddle with the screws as much as I could have though.

I bought mine last year for $525, power head only. It's worth every bit of that now. Thus saw runs today like it was new. Compression is huge. I ran it against an MS 660 the other day, both with 32" bars, and it cleaned the newer saw's clock. I might have had a sharper chain.

Not easy for me to start cold, so I bring along a burly logger to get it running when cold. Afterwards, I buy him an extra Bud Light. Cheers!

Ok its much better, but still not perfect (are any of them ever?) but its certainly running a damned sight better now, Doesn't rev as fast as I'd like, but its got all the grunt of an 066.

Still a little slow off idle if its been idling for awhile, but gets with it after reving a bit. (low jet a little rich...) buts its nearly perfect for throttle response after it clears up.

Might thin out the high jet a touch and take a bit off the low tomorrow... was more worried about wind than saws today.

My 046 Mag tends to do the same thing -- as you said, a little rich -- but I would rather it was that way than running lean. I may do the same thing tomorrow and just thin out the Hi setscrew an eighth turn. It does not take much adjustment. I bucked 36" dia, red elm today. Saw performed very well. I decided to give the 064 a small vacation and see if the 046 Mag could handle it. Believe me, it was a pleasant surprise. I wish I had pics, but I was too busy to mess around with a cell or camera.

Darn sloppy cuts, I get those a fair bit. You would think the heavier the power head, that the bar tip would be higher, nope seems to work the opposite way.
Great videos, keep them coming.
Its all about balance, stick a 20" on an 066 then yer off side will be high. of course you'll just torch the tree right off and probably ruin any hold wood or for that matter any high value targets nearby, but what the Hel right!

So, took a week longer than I would have liked, banged my knee up a bit and took most of the week off, wut with turkey day and assorted family stuff wouldn't have got much done anyway...

Anyway, here's the vid, you'll notice the extra limp in my shuffle... managed to eek out a full day of work though.

Back