Stihl 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason280

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What's the general consensus on a Stihl 064 Magnum? I came across one today in really good shape, but not real familiar with this model. I've owned an 066, and still have a Stihl 460, how do they compare? My "big" saw right now is a Husqvarna 390XP with a 32" bar, is the 064 closer to it than the 460?

People that like them (064's) love them.
In my opinion it will run with your 390 no problems- may not be as nice in the filtration and antivibe departments, but with good sharp chain- it should cut as well as.
Pretty true how @Yukon Stihl put it above- 460 weight with close to 066 power. I had a boss in the early '90's when the rest of the gang was on 066's and I was the odd bad apple with a 2094, he refused to use anything other than his beloved 064's and could out produce most any other faller in the group- but he also had some 20 years plus experience over most the rest of us!

Brilliant saw, I had one I rebuilt, cut through everything I wanted to cut.

I'm trying to convince myself I need it, but the asking price is $600...I'd probably buy it right now for $500, just not sure $600 is that good of a deal for a saw I don't *really* need.

Then again, what else can you find that would be any better for the money?

I'm trying to convince myself I need it, but the asking price is $600...I'd probably buy it right now for $500, just not sure $600 is that good of a deal for a saw I don't *really* need.

Then again, what else can you find that would be any better for the money?
We all don't *need* lots of saws but we have them, I think you said it yourself "Then again, what else can you find that would be any better for the money?" and saw prices (especially tidy ones) are only going to go up.

Well, ended up picking up the 064 today. Compression feels great (haven't measured it yet), and exhaust side of the piston looks perfect. Didn't have any trouble cranking, and seems to run strong...now, I just have to actually get it into some wood.

Well, ended up picking up the 064 today. Compression feels great (haven't measured it yet), and exhaust side of the piston looks perfect. Didn't have any trouble cranking, and seems to run strong...now, I just have to actually get it into some wood.
They are a good saw, kinda wish I didn't sell mine.

I'm interested in seeing how it compares with a Stihl 460 (28" bar) and Husqvarna 390XP (32").

I like mine better then 460's I run, only run 385 in Husqvarna. I prefer my 064 or my ms660 . If i am going for a big saw i prefer 85cc +. Mid weight i usually am 60 to 75cc. 80cc been a grey area for me. If I only used 1 saw a day might not be that way. I cut mostly firewood, and sometimes drop trees usually in different stages of growth clearing ditchbanks. Get clusters of big and small wood to cut which makes it go easiar switching big and smaller saws.
Like 28in bar on my 064, leave a 32in on my 660 but rarely use it.

What's the issue (or potential issue) with the coils on these saws? I've seen a few threads where this is mentioned, but which 064's are affected?

live long. and be teongqes
What's the issue (or potential issue) with the coils on these saws? I've seen a few threads where this is mentioned, but which 064's are affected?
Early Bosch ones, that can't fit other coils easy, and limited CDIC.......

I've had one years now.....that just needs attention........

Here are a few pics, any guesses on when it was manufactured? Is there a way to decipher the SN?

20220225_072516_jpg-2293058.JPG

20220225_072508_jpg-2293060.JPG

20220225_072522_jpg-2293062.JPG

20220225_072704_jpg-2293064.JPG

20220224_094326_jpg-2293065.JPG

What's the general consensus on a Stihl 064 Magnum? I came across one today in really good shape, but not real familiar with this model. I've owned an 066, and still have a Stihl 460, how do they compare? My "big" saw right now is a Husqvarna 390XP with a 32" bar, is the 064 closer to it than the 460?
Modern 90cc class saws are better unless you want to spend a lot of time and money modifying an 064, even then a 660 with a muff mod will walk all over it.

its better then a 460, but not better then a 461 as far as power etc
it does handle better then the 660 saws as its a little narrower, but you trade power for handling.
they are also getting old and getting harder to find parts for them, especially coils/flywheels, brake handles, etc

I've owned a couple of them, tried to like them cause they had a good reputation, but the 660 was just a better saw, and the 461 handles everything an 064 can with ease (really a 461 puts up a good fight to a stock 660 too)

Latest posts

Back