Stihl 064AV Expert diagnosis please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotchguy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is a really great forum and I am glad I have found it because I have a problem I need your help with. I'm an amature who has been cutting down trees for the exercise for some 25 years. I have a particularly big tree that needs to come down so I bought a Stihl 064AV with a 30 inch bar from ebay just for the job.

The saw was described as "Good Condition". When it arrived it looked well used with the pull cord hanging slightly loose. Anyways, I gassed it up with some 25:1 mixture I use for my little overhand saw.

On the third pull the 064 gave a bark, then started on the fourth pull. So far, so good. On idle it sounded a bit rough and when I ran it up to full revs with no loading it did not sing out nicely. I brought it down to about half revs and held it on its side and swung it about a bit to make sure there was no problem with any of the seals and stuff like that. So far, still OK.

At this point the saw had been running for a minute or two. I stopped the saw, tried to start it again, but after 15 or 20 good fast pulls I gave up.

I left it for an hour and it started up again. After running for a few minutes I stopped it. When I tried to start it again the dam cord was kicking back on me and nearly pulled my fingers off.

I left the saw overnight and now it won't start at all. No signs of life ... nada!

Can any of you experts help me out on this one. I thought the 25:1 mixutre might be a bit rich, but my Huskies have never complained of that ... so what's going on?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sounds like it is running rich, and has flooded on you. Take the plug out an clean it,
pull the rope sveral times to dry things out a tad, reinstall the plug and try to start
again, without choke at first. Look at the air filters,at the same time you look at the plug. How are you on checking a saw's adjustment?

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I know its bad form to reply to your own question!

However, I thought some more about the 25:1 mixture in the 064 and found this extremely interesting thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=2870&page=2&pp=15

Posting #25 is particularly good.

The reason I use 25:1 mixutre is the information on this web page:

http://www.ongmac.com.au/chainsaws064.htm

It says to use 50:1 mix when using Stihl branded oil but 25:1 when using other manufacturers oil.

Could this be my problem?

Hi Fish,

I don't even know what you mean when you ask "How are you on checking a saw's adjustment?"

I only use my saws for 10 or 15 days per year and have never bothered to adjust them as top performance has not really been an issue for me.

I would like to get this sorted out as I can return the 064 to ebay within 7 days if I'm not happy.

Thanks, Ronnie.

Unless you're comfortable working on saws, or you have a real desire to keep this saw, you might want to consider returning it. Of course that depends on how easy it is to put it right versus cost of shipping to return it.

Aw ra best...Chris J.

Fish Was Correct!

Problem solved.

I drained the 25:1 out of the tank and filled up with 50:1. I took the plug out and cleaned it off.

While the cylinder was drying out I took off the exhaust and checked the cylinder bore for scratches.

Reassembled the thing and it started first time. It idles much better and although it does not sing out just right at full throttle, it has a nick crisp bark to its tone that was not there on the 25:1 mixture.

All this leaves me wondering WHY THE F**K STIHL RECOMMEND A 25:1 MIXTURE ON THEIR SPEC SHEET ... BASTARDS!

I think I'll be keeping it ... another good acquisition on ebay!

That's it, damit!!1 The more I think about it, the more pissed I get!!!! I am leaving....

You all do not appreciate me.
Damit, the more I drink about it, the madder I am getting. I am gone.
Bye. Hasta la vista baby. I won't be back. This is my last post!!!!
I am offended!!! I won't be back, no matter how much you all beg.

My final post. Final, fine', zipp, omega,.end, last, that's it.

This summer I bought a solo back pack mist blower and the manual said use 25:1 for the first 5 tanks. So I mixed up the first tank with echo oil. It ran well but had a kick to it every 6 -7 seconds. I wasn't maxing the throttle all the time either. It finally started fouling the plug and stoping repeatedly.

It was spitting out black slimely all over the housing and I found the muffler was half full of black liquid sludge. Not even 1 tank used yet. Plug was always black. Swithed to 50:1 and ran much better. Plug would burn white (I also leaned the carb some).

Called the distributor in Virginia and they said "Oh the 25:1 was for the old model with the steel cylinder. That should have been removed from the new manual. Sorry bout that"

Just shows you can't even trust what the manufacturer puts out now days.

I just ignore the 25:1 crap cause I dont feel it necessary with todays oils. I'll run a 40:1 ratio in everything I own. it works fine, and doesnt cause any troubles, so I'm stickin with it.

Oh, I hope he is not kidnapped by a blond model and draged in to some love shack some where, I hope he does not do anything stupid, like run off or something. Those blong models can be dangerus.....

From a Stihl Tech to be

Use Stihl mix ONLY. It isnt much more if any money. Theres a reason you get extra warrenty if u buy stihl oil. So run 50:1 Stihl mix. might have floosed on you....in this case remove the spark plug, BE SURE THE IGNITION IS OFF, then pull it over a few times, and clean your plug, new one if need be, i find Stihl's prefer Bosch plugs, NGK if need be, but run like crap on Champs. Another thing ive seen on older saws is once the saw gets heated up, it looses its spark, check for that but be sure the plug is grounded some how, via a alligatoir clip to the block or have the plug resting on the block..NOT PLASTIC, if it isnt grounded you can fry your ignition....another reason to have it off when pulling over if flooded. If you find it was flooded...clean the plug and try starting it with the throttle wide open. That about what i can think of w/o seein the saw

Back