Stihl 064av pros and cons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have an 064 and ms660. I do think the 660 DP muffler, has more torque. Since I've had the 064 I usually run an 28" bar on it and does feel like out standing balance and reach with that combo. Significantly more torque then my previous 046 which I sold. Its pretty stout to pull but since I learned to listen carefully for the pop ( when I first got it I missed the pop several times and flooded it ), usually it hits #2 or 3 pull, then 1 or 2 more to start. I have a rather lame shoulder, but it seldom bothers me to start it. I've had more problems with smaller saws at times. No problem with vibes. Sometimes a slightly bent handle bar or other structure defect makes a saw vibrate to the hands.

No, I sold it a while back. Had a bunch of saws and decided to sell off all but 5. Took some tough decisions about which to sell, and which to keep. This is what I have left, plus a real nice 028 Super that was given to me by a good friend, and a Pioneer P-60 that I also got for free. (That’s a nice 10mm 044 with a broken crank in the box).

View attachment 643896

Nice stickers!

I bought my 064 AV last year from a guy who retired, used it only for firewood cutting, and never had more than a 20" bar on it. I was going to sell it, but I let a pro logging sawyer start it who runs 661's now and ran 660's for 1o years. He sample cut with it using a 28" bar, shut it off, and said, "Edwin, don't ever sell this saw. It's a keeper. I've run brand new saws with less power than this one has today."

He had enough muscle and mass to drop start it. I don't, but I can get it going in a pinch. A decomp valve would be nice, but those are the breaks.

I bought my 064 AV last year from a guy who retired, used it only for firewood cutting, and never had more than a 20" bar on it. I was going to sell it, but I let a pro logging sawyer start it who runs 661's now and ran 660's for 1o years. He sample cut with it using a 28" bar, shut it off, and said, "Edwin, don't ever sell this saw. It's a keeper. I've run brand new saws with less power than this one has today."

He had enough muscle and mass to drop start it. I don't, but I can get it going in a pinch. A decomp valve would be nice, but those are the breaks.
Yea smart move not selling it and from what I've learned from working on saw's is the non decomp cylinders are the way to go for making good power

A good running 064 is a nice machine.

034 Super

If you got a good clean one of these you should probably keep it. If you do not have a good clean example of each and like collecting saws you should get them.
I had a really nice 044 but traded it for the 064 do I miss the 044 Yea but do I love the 064 yep I'll keep this one granted it not nearly as light as the 044 but the power makes up for that. Lol

Lol. I thought there would be more people that would get into this thread or it's just not that many people have experienced the enjoyment of running a 064.:barbecue:

I found that for 32" and 36" bars, that is where an 064 really shines. They are a great PNW fallers saw. However for 28" bars and under I preferred the speedier 046 and 460. I've found those a much better firewood saw.

Lol. I thought there would be more people that would get into this thread or it's just not that many people have experienced the enjoyment of running a 064.:barbecue:
Good saws... threads about ‘em all over the forums since, well, the forums started.
They got a little trendy due to some hype a couple of years ago, but 1122 series are up there with many Stihl guys regardless of these sites.
Fun to run, old style AV, good power, easy to work on.

That does it. Tomorrow I am posting Pics of my 064 AV. I have no Pics of it now, but I'll take a couple and let the forum decide whether this saw was worth the $550 I paid for it, delivered. I think the inside structure surrounding the carb is better engineered than an MS660. I may have to put this saw on a pedestal to display it..

That does it. Tomorrow I am posting Pics of my 064 AV. I have no Pics of it now, but I'll take a couple and let the forum decide whether this saw was worth the $550 I paid for it, delivered. I think the inside structure surrounding the carb is better engineered than an MS660. I may have to put this saw on a pedestal to display it..
If you post picks of your 064av then I'll teas you with picks of mine. Lol. :laughing::happy:

I will throw my hat into the ring, as I have built a few 064`s and made three of them hybrids. Only own 3, 066`s ,one 064 and one 064/066 hybrid, the straight up ported 064 is the one I grab most often, it is lighter, revs and cuts like a bigger cc saw with its 32" bar and chisel chain, handles much nicer due to its narrower width and the vibration factor is definitely lower on this saw than compared to my 066`s. If only the 064 was spring type AV, well that would just be all wrong though.

I bought a new 064 in the mid 90’s, had it ported. Was a great saw, really liked it, never thought about vibes until I bought a 576 and 562, couldn’t hardly stand to run the 064 because of vibes after that, lol. Ended up selling the 064.
They are great saws though, much prefer them over the 066.

I bought a new 064 in the mid 90’s, had it ported. Was a great saw, really liked it, never thought about vibes until I bought a 576 and 562, couldn’t hardly stand to run the 064 because of vibes after that, lol. Ended up selling the 064.
They are great saws though, much prefer them over the 066.
Maybe I was used to running my Dolmar 7900, and then going to the 064 it felt like the vibes were really bad? I’ve never felt that 2-series Huskys were bad on vibes, which is why I still have my 288xp, and not my 064. Same with the 044 & hybrid 440/046 I had... they seemed plenty smooth. It was just the 064 that vibrated too much for my liking. Maybe I did have something out of balance and it was just that particular saw, but it kinda ruined the idea of ever getting another 064/66.

Since spring AV has made its way into the chainsaw world my hands and arms are taking a liking to it rather quickly...:)
Not giving up on all my old dinosaur any time soon but often reaching for the springers more often lately.
Lol. I just ran a new 462 man couldn't believe the difference but I'm old school I like being able to tare a saw apart and not have to worry about how to remember how to put it back together. Lol no not really I do like some of the new saws that are coming out in time I'm sure I'll have to go and buy one to hop up. :laugh:

OK, guys, here are tthe Pics of my 064 AV that I promised:
Stihl 064 AV.jpg
I removed the carb cover on the lower Pic because I wanted to show how much better engineered this is than the assembly used on the MS650 and MS660. Several of my customers have broken the cheap aluminum piece that supports the cover on them. This steel one is much stronger. I'm not impressed with the plastic assembly supplied on the MS661 either.

Anyway, thanks for looking. I really like this 064 AV, decomp or no decomp. It's a brute.

Latest posts

Back