Stihl 066 score!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsamm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Answered a C/L ad 3 days ago via text messaging for a large Stihl for sale. Advertised with a 32" B & C and in good condition. Pictures were pretty sorry and couldn't see what model it was, or it's condition, but could tell it was a larger one with a decompression valve. Anyway, I sent the message asking what model and got no response. The guy was asking a "firm" $350.. Didn't think there would be any harm to go look as he was only about 20 miles away. The ad got deleted the same night, so I figured it was a goner. He texted me yesterday saying it was an 066. I asked him if he hadn't already sold it and he said no. Told him I would like to come and see it. He sent me his address but I didn't get to go the same afternoon and asked if I could come mid morning today...If I had had ANY idea of what he had for this price, I would have gone at midnight to get it! Got to his house and he raises the garage door and has this absolutely pristine 066 sitting on the garage floor! Heart skipped a beat when I saw it and I KNEW it was going home with me, one way or the other. He said it was his Dad's and that he had passed away and he had no use for it. He had a little Ryobi he preferred to use when he needed to cut something and he was moving out of state and didn't want to take it along. It gets better...I asked if I could take the plug out and look at the cylinder and he said sure no problem. I knew I was wasting my time and was right - it was perfect. I doubt this thing has an hour of run time on it. I asked if I could fire it up. Pulled one time on choke, it popped, put it on fast idle and it roared to life on the next pull. Just ran perfectly. Unbelievable...anyway, I asked him how firm he was on the price and he said just make me an offer, I'm moving tomorrow. Was a bit embarrassed but told him the truth - that I had $250. of put back money on me and would give him that if he would take it. He didn't even flinch and said, OK, no problem!!! I think this is the best score I've run up on yet. Got a 361 in similar condition a few months back for a lady who was divorcing her husband and just wanted to "get rid" of the extra stuff that he didn't take. Kind of the same deal - got there, took one look at it and knew her $200. asking price was a fire sale price. (she didn't need the money - she was in a $500,000+ house) Only word for it was pristine, just like the 066. Don't think it had more than an hour or two on it either. She insisted that I take the new plastic gas can (full of mix), 2 bottles of unopened oil, a Stihl saw wrench and a Stihl hard case for it. When I asked her if she was sure, she said if I didn't take the extra stuff it was going in the trash...Anybody doubt what I did? Must be doing something right lately to have had this much luck...can't imagine what it is, but I'll sure take more of it...!! I have GOT to stay off of C/L!!!!!

Answered a C/L ad 3 days ago via text messaging for a large Stihl for sale. Advertised with a 32" B & C and in good condition. Pictures were pretty sorry and couldn't see what model it was, or it's condition, but could tell it was a larger one with a decompression valve. Anyway, I sent the message asking what model and got no response. The guy was asking a "firm" $350.. Didn't think there would be any harm to go look as he was only about 20 miles away. The ad got deleted the same night, so I figured it was a goner. He texted me yesterday saying it was an 066. I asked him if he hadn't already sold it and he said no. Told him I would like to come and see it. He sent me his address but I didn't get to go the same afternoon and asked if I could come mid morning today...If I had had ANY idea of what he had for this price, I would have gone at midnight to get it! Got to his house and he raises the garage door and has this absolutely pristine 066 sitting on the garage floor! Heart skipped a beat when I saw it and I KNEW it was going home with me, one way or the other. He said it was his Dad's and that he had passed away and he had no use for it. He had a little Ryobi he preferred to use when he needed to cut something and he was moving out of state and didn't want to take it along. It gets better...I asked if I could take the plug out and look at the cylinder and he said sure no problem. I knew I was wasting my time and was right - it was perfect. I doubt this thing has an hour of run time on it. I asked if I could fire it up. Pulled one time on choke, it popped, put it on fast idle and it roared to life on the next pull. Just ran perfectly. Unbelievable...anyway, I asked him how firm he was on the price and he said just make me an offer, I'm moving tomorrow. Was a bit embarrassed but told him the truth - that I had $250. of put back money on me and would give him that if he would take it. He didn't even flinch and said, OK, no problem!!! I think this is the best score I've run up on yet. Got a 361 in similar condition a few months back for a lady who was divorcing her husband and just wanted to "get rid" of the extra stuff that he didn't take. Kind of the same deal - got there, took one look at it and knew her $200. asking price was a fire sale price. (she didn't need the money - she was in a $500,000+ house) Only word for it was pristine, just like the 066. Don't think it had more than an hour or two on it either. She insisted that I take the new plastic gas can (full of mix), 2 bottles of unopened oil, a Stihl saw wrench and a Stihl hard case for it. When I asked her if she was sure, she said if I didn't take the extra stuff it was going in the trash...Anybody doubt what I did? Must be doing something right lately to have had this much luck...can't imagine what it is, but I'll sure take more of it...!! I have GOT to stay off of C/L!!!!!

well okay. gonna have to rep ya for that.

Yea, I'm ashamed of myself...especially when the guy told me he used the 066 only once for a few minutes and it was really fun! I can imagine it was...ashamed about the 361 too, but that thing is a real screamer too. Those 361's have to be one of the best for overall weight/size/power. Got a second one of those from a guy who couldn't get it cranked. He took $135. for it and an MS250. Both only needed a fuel filter, new plug and the air filters blown out. Didn't even fool with the carbs. and both fired up like new. $67.50 apiece doesn't sound too bad for those two either. Also didn't want to mention the 441 Mag I found in similar circumstances after the second 361. While not as perfect as the 361's or the 066, it's not far from either and that guy took $200 for it...why do I feel like a thief? All I do is ask, and more times than not, they say "OK"...hard to figure some of them. Maybe I look pitiful, like I need another saw - who knows, but that makes an 066, 2 361's an MS250 and the 441 for a grand total of $785. for the whole lot...so I guess that's all 5 for what probably is a little more than half of what a brand new 660 would cost at a dealer, at least around here anyway...GOT to stay away from C/L!!!

Three comments:
1. One is that the 066 has a lot more than an hour on it, the bar has been run on both sides most likely. But it is in very excellent condition.
2. If I wasn't burning the candle on both ends I'da beat you to that one. The ads with lousy descriptions usually don't sell too fast but it's hard to tell what they have. I have responded to "Large commercial Stihl saw" and found out it was an 025.
3. You suck. Big time! I'm on the lookout for a 361. You should give me yours because I let you get the 066?
Now I have to leave AS to go to CL. Well, actually, I have to go to the airport and fly to Alabama but I will resume my searches soon. I'm all re-inspired.

You should go into business selling used saws. I can't ever find a deal on C/L around here, although there was a really nice 036 Pro a couple weeks ago for 200 bucks, but until i called it was sold. I was laid off for three months over the winter and i kept buying parts saws, i cant even count how many i bought
I built 6 saws (Two 026 Pros one 034 super one 036 Pro a MS440 and an 066)
Than i sold all the extra parts on ebay and when it was all said and done i built 6 saws and broke even after selling all the parts. I initially spent $1200 on all the parts saws. It took awhile to get all my initial investment back, but now i have 6 free saws
Of course i don't know if i would say they were free....It took allot of work cleaning all them parts and a PITA to ship all over the county. It was enjoyable though and kept me busy through the layoff.

You should go into business selling used saws. I can't ever find a deal on C/L around here

Same here, good deals on CL saws are "Almost" unheard of here....

To the OP

Nice Find BTW

On the look out for a deal on either of the following saws mysellf

026/260 (Would settle for a 025/250)
066/660
088/880

Rarely see any for a halfway sane price, last 026 I saw the seller wanted $250 for it and it looked like it had the snot ran out of it (Moronic Homeowner Owner kind of look)

heck I went looking for a cheap used gas brush trimmer the other day, couldn't find anything below $150 that didnt look like crap.

Last edited:
Three comments:
1. One is that the 066 has a lot more than an hour on it, the bar has been run on both sides most likely. But it is in very excellent condition.
2. If I wasn't burning the candle on both ends I'da beat you to that one. The ads with lousy descriptions usually don't sell too fast but it's hard to tell what they have. I have responded to "Large commercial Stihl saw" and found out it was an 025.
3. You suck. Big time! I'm on the lookout for a 361. You should give me yours because I let you get the 066?
Now I have to leave AS to go to CL. Well, actually, I have to go to the airport and fly to Alabama but I will resume my searches soon. I'm all re-inspired.

Yea, gonna have to watch for you beating me to them around here. My average has been pretty good in the last year or so. Got more than I lost and generally for next to nothing. I always like hearing: "It wouldn't crank and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, so I just bought another one and want to get rid of this one. What will you offer?" 80% if the time, a good cleaning and a carb kit will make them new again. Got stung a little bit on a 440 I got for $80 bucks a couple of weeks ago though. Had to drive about 40 miles to get it and it needed more than I thought it would. Had to spend another $200 or so to get it back completely right, (piston, fuel tank and some small odds and ends) but I guess for that saw, it's still not too bad. I never factor in any "cost" for labor time because I very much enjoy fixing and renewing them. Don't really know what in the world I'll do with all of these, but I do really enjoy finding a great deal on this crazy expensive Stihl stuff. I have a 660 I got a couple of years ago that was new. It was my first one. Used it once, and it scored the piston. Still to this day, cannot figure out how or why. Anyway, knew nearly nothing about chainsaws in general and particularly these high dollar ones, other than how to mix the fuel and run them, so I took it to a local dealer to see if they could tell me what was wrong with it. It literally had 30 minutes of run time on it. They gave it back to me in a box taken to pieces. Scared the crap out of me to see a thousand dollar + piece of equipment this nice heaped up in a box. Anyway, did a little reading on here and decided that I could fix it and did. Little Muratic on the cylinder and it cleaned up perfectly. Got an OEM piston and head gasket and took my time and got it back together and it runs perfectly. Just have to get over that initial fear I guess. Built a lot of car stuff over the years and have several roll away chests and top boxes full of 30 years + of collecting every tool you could imagine but for some reason, this 2 stroke stuff really had me buffaloed until I just jumped in and fixed that one. Now I have absolutely no fear of taking any of them apart so no 2 pieces are touching and getting them back together again. The pieces of the 440 are still in a bucket in my workshop. Just got the piston and tank and now have everything to complete it. A couple of hours and it will be screaming like the others. I have yet to break open a crankcase on any of them, but I can't see how that would be a big deal either. So I guess I'll stay away from CL as long as I can, since I REALLY don't need another one or two of these but I'm not holding my breath too long. Never had much sympathy for drug addicts and the like, but I'm beginning to think that this might not be far from it! I promise, if I run up on a really nice 361, I'll message you and turn it over to you for whatever I got it for. That is, providing I beat you to the next one!

You should go into business selling used saws. I can't ever find a deal on C/L around here, although there was a really nice 036 Pro a couple weeks ago for 200 bucks, but until i called it was sold. I was laid off for three months over the winter and i kept buying parts saws, i cant even count how many i bought
I built 6 saws (Two 026 Pros one 034 super one 036 Pro a MS440 and an 066)
Than i sold all the extra parts on ebay and when it was all said and done i built 6 saws and broke even after selling all the parts. I initially spent $1200 on all the parts saws. It took awhile to get all my initial investment back, but now i have 6 free saws
Of course i don't know if i would say they were free....It took allot of work cleaning all them parts and a PITA to ship all over the county. It was enjoyable though and kept me busy through the layoff.

Wow...sounds like you made out like a bandit on that stuff! I never count the labor of putting them back new into what I would consider the "cost" of one. Reason being, I so enjoy figuring out what's wrong with them and getting them back right. Most of the time, if you are just reasonably careful, you can come out way ahead - as you very definitely did!! Most people I run into with the Stihl stuff are scared to death of them, just like I was putting my first 660 back together. Believe me, I can recognize that look of "oh man, to fix whatever is wrong with this thing is going to cost more than I paid for it to start with!" Been der dun dat. And unless you are really wealthy and/or just don't care, a dealer isn't an option or it WILL cost you more to fix than a new one. They are pretty merciless around here. I would say that you do indeed have 6 free saws. At least that's how I would see it. To me, there is just a real satisfaction in renewing top quality equipment, and not just saws. I like getting anything back up to like new. Bought a huge drill press off of CL a week ago that is in really good shape, it's just not been used and is really nasty. Will take me a couple of weeks of an hour here and and hour there to get it all straight again, cosmetic wise, but it is otherwise like a new one. I would imagine it was likely over a grand when bought new, but this guy just wanted it out of his shed and took $150 for it. It's an industrial size and quality piece - no Home Depot or Lowes crap here....so my sickness isn't limited to only saws, but it is getting to lean that way pretty bad lately. I tell you, I just have to find a way to stay off of CL or my wife is going to do it for me...she's a good one, and kindly overlooks most all of my foolishness, but even she has her limits...know what I mean??

Same here, good deals on CL saws are "Almost" unheard of here....

To the OP

Nice Find BTW

On the look out for a deal on either of the following saws mysellf

026/260 (Would settle for a 025/250)
066/660
088/880

Rarely see any for a halfway sane price, last 026 I saw the seller wanted $250 for it and it looked like it had the snot ran out of it (Moronic Homeowner Owner kind of look)

heck I went looking for a cheap used gas brush trimmer the other day, couldn't find anything below $150 that didnt look like crap.

Patients Jedi Warrior. Ive been looking for an026 and after 2 years of seeing overpriced ones I got a MS260 Pro. It needed a clutch but got a good deal on it. ;)

That's about what I paid for my 066! That's why I flew to pick it up before someone else snagged it. Had a crappy write up too, felt very lucky to snag it up!...oh you suck by the way:msp_scared:

Wow a late model Flat top 066,,, You really do suck!!!! JK!!!! Very nice score,, it is definitly a low hr. unit... It still has the factory sicker on the front of the oil tank and almost all of the paint.... that saw has been well taken care of...

Some people have all of luck!!!!:msp_thumbsup: Congrats!!:msp_smile:
036Pro

Back