Stihl 070 gutless wonder with 36" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be interested is keeping it so yes. Depends on how much work it needs
Setting the squish and opening up the transfers are going to do you a world of good.
Also that 66mm cylinder does fit that saw, I know because I did it. The outer flange will cover the bottom feed transfers and the new cylinder is like any other closed port cylinder.
Most of the time you have to "file " the 66mm cylinders bolt hole to line up with the case holes.

my 090 cylinder showed up so i pulled off 070 cylinder and there is no way the 090 cylinder will fit on the 070. Cylinder on 070 has 2 additional ports and cannot possibly be interchanged with the 090 cylinder. Unless i am totally missing something, See below pics
Are you saying the 090 cylinder you have will not actually fit?...Or does it just not look right to you?

will not physically fit. Cylinder bore from 090 will not fit down into recess of 070. 100% impossible
Sometime in the mid to late 1960's Stihl changed the castings of the 1106 series saws to accept both 58mm and 66mm cylinders, the aftermarket crankcase you have must be a copy of a very early 1106 series Stihl?

Sometime in the mid to late 1960's Stihl changed the castings of the 1106 series saws to accept both 58mm and 66mm cylinders, the aftermarket crankcase you have must be a copy of a very early 1106 series Stihl?
Your talking about the early sand cast which would have a different air filter set up.

Nope, die cast... And I'm only referring to the crankcase. The last of the Contra Lightning saws would accept either 58mm or 66mm cylinders.
The early saws would only accept the 58mm cylinder.....Having said that, I'm at a lost as to why anyone would copy the early design and not the later that allows the fitting of both cylinders.

Back