Stihl 075AV, what's it worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyp

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I picked up this saw years ago and finally got round to ordering bits and fixing it, it has new (aftermarket):

piston/cylinder
av mounts where necessary
crank bearings and oil seals
exhaust

need to order new exhaust cover, will do before I sell it to tidy it up.

as per photos, isn't in new condition but everything works just fine (been used but not abused). the only missing bit I can see other than exhaust cover is the manual oiler button is currently a screw (what are these for anyway, just adding more oil in a big cut I assume?). Also guessing this is an older one due to the old logo, there's 075/76's around with the new stihl logo yes?

I'm in Australia, interested to know thoughts what these are worth in this kind of condition? Not sure if I'll sell it or not as it's a beast, may use it for a mill, but always worth knowing!

any input appreciated

thanks

IMG_2775.JPG IMG_2776.JPG IMG_2777.JPG IMG_2778.JPG IMG_2779.JPG

Around 300$ if OEM. Substantially less considering P/C are aftermarket. Suckers tend to pay a lot more on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thanks, for that kind of money I'll just keep it. might throw on ebay for a tad more and see if there are any takers at some stage

Probably worth more than the above prices considering it's Australia. We're not used to the high prices of chainsaws there... I would think that even with aftermarket parts, a 100+ cc saw is going to fetch $500 down under.

i was thinking $500 would be worth selling it, but hey I was speculating!

Probably worth more than the above prices considering it's Australia. We're not used to the high prices of chainsaws there... I would think that even with aftermarket parts, a 100+ cc saw is going to fetch $500 down under.
I am with you on this.. US prices seem a steal compared to the UK too. Still seeing 038 mags (non mint) for sale at + $300 ish in UK £...

An 076 went for $440 and that was rebuilt with AM parts. And that was sold at gone 11pm so probs didn't get the full amount it could have.

upload_2017-3-16_10-56-8.png

One of the problem areas on these saws is the bottom mount for the front handle. How solid is that mount,concerning breaks, cracks or deformed from hard impacts? Saw collectors want saws to be original and in very good physical condition, they pay the highest prices but this saw would not meet their standards so it would be more likely bought by someone just wanting a running/ working one. Working and running ones bring less money from experienced owners but on eBay it may go for good coin. Just need to be careful with the listing, divulge every detail and lots of good picts, many sales turn sour these days when the purchaser gets the saw and discovers a discrepancy in what was told in the listing.The eBay policy`s now protect the buyer and screw the seller.

I am with you on this.. US prices seem a steal compared to the UK too. Still seeing 038 mags (non mint) for sale at + $300 ish in UK £...

An 076 went for $440 and that was rebuilt with AM parts. And that was sold at gone 11pm so probs didn't get the full amount it could have.

View attachment 565258
An 038 Mag would bring $300 plus around here.

I've been trying to sell and MS290 for months now. I've dropped the asking price below the average price for these saws and specified I am ready to consider offers. The saw is all original and in good nick: I just need it out of the door because I have no more use for it.
So far no takers, no interest, no nothing.

I've been trying to sell and MS290 for months now. I've dropped the asking price below the average price for these saws and specified I am ready to consider offers. The saw is all original and in good nick: I just need it out of the door because I have no more use for it.
So far no takers, no interest, no nothing.
I see 290's on Craigslist all the time in my area looking for $300. Isn't that what one is new? Always boggled my mind.

A buddy of mine bought one before I could warn him not to and it seized up the first time running it. He never changed out the gas that had been in it.

I see 290's on Craigslist all the time in my area looking for $300. Isn't that what one is new? Always boggled my mind.

A buddy of mine bought one before I could warn him not to and it seized up the first time running it. He never changed out the gas that had been in it.

Here list price (including taxes) for an MS271 is hard to swallow €650 and a massive €730 for an MS291. Dealers are usually authorized to take something off because at those prices those saws don't sell, period, but crazy discounts only exist in people's minds.
An MS290 in good nick will go for €350, but most sellers will hang up on you if you offer less than €380 because they think they are holding on to some rare and exotic model. I am asking €300 for mine which I feel is the right value for an MS290 in good shape as mine is, and if the buyer is local I will arrange for letting him test it.

There used to be a good market in second hand power equipment here. Then the eBay specials arrived and destroyed it and are starting to affect dealerships as well. The stories I hear from them defy belief but sadly I know they are all too real.

thanks, for that kind of money I'll just keep it. might throw on ebay for a tad more and see if there are any takers at some stage

Yep, Then pay the 13% ebay-paypal fees and if the buyer don't like
it for any reason you have to refund there money. There is no seller
protection. Ebay has become the worst place on earth to sell something.

pioneer guy - got a new (used) handle for it as the one on it was broken. in saying that it must be from a slightly different saw as the decomp hole doesn't line up, everything else fits and looks a lot better than the riveted/busted one that was on it!

very good point on ebay (and i'm sure craigslist) - issue is when you do divulge info you get lowballed by idiots! but I agree it needs to be very clear, even if you're pointing out things that the purchaser probably wouldn't find!

Yep, Then pay the 13% ebay-paypal fees and if the buyer don't like
it for any reason you have to refund there money. There is no seller
protection. Ebay has become the worst place on earth to sell something.

Yes and because this a lot of ebayers sells only on collection so you can see the item before you pay cash. From Belgium to Uk with a ferry aint funny.

Latest posts

Back