Stihl 076 coming back from the dead!!! Need help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Reaction score
well a little good news and a little bad news... I got a 076 from another user on here from east coast. Looks to be pretty low hour and in good nik! It would run good for 10-15mins but then not want to start again... So...

I found a cracked/rotted gas line upon further inspection... The piston has very very light scoring and the compression is a little low (125-135ish)... Cylinder looks glossy and clean on the inside. I'm planning on putting some tygon gas line in and putting a NOS or quality AM piston in it. Anyone got a NOS or AM 076 58mm piston and rings laying around? I'll post for one on the swap meet thread but couldn't resist asking. Never know what someone has laying around!

2nd issue was it not wanting to start back up... I am thinking the gas line probably leaned the piston and was the culprit on not letting it start again... BUT... i was told the little ignition box might be 1/2 bad and it would be good to replace if the gas line doesn't fix the restart problem... Can anyone tell me where to get the new ignition piece. Mitch (mweba) told me I could get them at radio shack or online for under $10 but would like a link if someone could provide one to me!!??!!??!!??

Try to pressure/vac test if possible as these saws can have an air leak in a lot more places than most...

The restart problem may be that the trigger unit is going bad. Aftermarket versions like the NOVAII are a suitable replacement. Take some pictures of the ignition setup if you can.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back