Stihl 08, 09, Poulan 3400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jes055

Reaction score
Stihl 08, 009, Poulan 3400

This saw is probably older than I am. 60's or 70's

This saw sat for a few years. Wouldn't start so I cleaned the carb. Started and ran fine for a half tank of fuel. Now it bogs or cuts out when you give it some gas. It will recover momentarily if you activate the choke. I have not tried to clean the carb again. My shoulder sure tells me it has compression, ???? near rattled my arms off trimming branches. How does this saw rate for power (I never tried it on a real block of wood)? I sure would like to get it going. Hire a cocky young tough guy for an afternoon- see if he comes back the next day.

009, slightly newer than the 08. I borrowed this saw for trimming. It would not start at all. I cleaned the carb and it ran great. I let someone borrow it now it runs for a minute then cuts out above idle. Let it idle for a second and it'll work for a few seconds then repeats. I cleaned the carb again with no change. Could someone tell me the telltale signs of crank seal failure? BTW- You cannot adjust the jets to correct the problem with either stihl.

The outdated Poulan 3400 had the same problem. Cleaned the carb and it got worse. I found the fuel hose cracked so hooked up a 'jumper' hose to a bottle of fuel. The saw ran okay but the blade was smoking and the chain started freezing up within a couple minutes. The previoius owner said the chain was not getting oil, wrong it is getting to much oil if anything. I noticed the blade has been damaged. When the chain freezes up is the problem usually with the blade or clutch? Not sure if this saw is worth a new blade or the $6 fuel line (ridiculous). None of these saws have a safety chain brake.

How much would I have to spend on a Stihl, Husky, etc to equal the performance of the 250 dollarish Poulan Pro. I would like to sell some firewood now that it's going for $40 cord. There seems to be a lot of Husky fans, but then I hear they have coil problems at close to $100 a pop. Is this (still)true? Do stihls really plug on their sawdust?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back