Stihl 08S starter / recoil not engaging.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was working fine then nothing all!.... It would appear the friction shoes are no longer engaging?...As best as I can see they're not moving when the starter rope is pulled.
The housing is clean, no dirt, dust or crud, recoil spring is working fine and the saw is a low hour unit in overall good condition.
P1070466.JPG
stihl 08s.gif

Funnily enough I was doing my recoil for the 08s the other day - Yes, you may need to replace the friction shoes! They sit either side of the brake lever under that washer and spring. The older 08s don’t always come with metal washers that sit either side of the brake shoes, but they are good to add to help keep the friction shoes clean.

If the friction shoes are polished / shiny through use or have oil on them they won’t work, you can first try some brake cleaner on them followed by a little rough up with abrasive paper to bring back the friction.

Note the shoes (black) under the spring:D2396E14-1FA1-4E95-916B-11BD380BC368.jpeg4F412156-57BA-4E21-8FF8-0BCE98C892C1.jpeg

P1070469.JPG
P1070468.JPG
Pic # 1 shows the friction shoes in the disengaged position.
Pic#2 shows the friction shoes in the fully engaged position....The problem is the shoes won't move into the engaged position in the usual manner, ie by pulling the starter.

There is a leading side and a trailing side to the center carrier along with an offset cam shape that only works in one direction when the recoil is pulled. Sometimes that center section is called a lever, whatever name for it that is used it needs to face the correct way.

There is a leading side and a trailing side to the center carrier along with an offset cam shape that only works in one direction when the recoil is pulled. Sometimes that center section is called a lever, whatever name for it that is used it needs to face the correct way.
Yup, the carrier needs flipped over & leading edges sharpened. Use carb cleaner on the fiber washers & replace them if they’re oil soaked.

Latest posts

Back