Stihl 08S starter / recoil not engaging.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fiber washers are item # 12 in the first post?
Yes sir, critical parts. Rough their faces up with sandpaper, they should be dull finished & not glazed or shiny. Same thing for the brake lever or bremshebel.

Is the center post rigidly fixed to the starter housing?, and not spinning with the Fairbanks assembly. It should be.

The fiber washers are item # 12 in the first post?
Yes, they need to be totally dry. I have needed to doo them and replace with new if they get old and soggy from oil contamination. All components have to be dry and a bit roughened, smooth or shiny is not what is needed in these parts.

Yes, they need to be totally dry. I have needed to too them and replace with new if they get old and soggy from oil contamination. All components have to be dry and a bit roughened, smooth or shiny is not what is needed in these parts.
If they are oily you might try soaking them in solvent/gasoline/mineral spirts overnight to leach out the oil, dry out, then rough them up.

Iv just spent all day tinkering on an old 041 that’s having this same issue 😅 the friction shoes got stuck in the engaged position and chewed up the starter ring so put a new one of them in but still no joy 😡 tired lubing up the friction shoes but after reading this I will pull it all apart again and clean, dry and scuff up all the parts and try again 🤞🏽

Back