Stihl 090 vs 088 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aftermarket?
the new cyl/pist is MAHLE 66ZN4 W2. does anyone know if I will need to adjust the Carb going from the smaller to larger displacement and where vacuum leaks are most likely to occur (I assume where the carb mounts to the cyl? it's my first time working on a 2 Cycle. Thx-Joe

Live out west and you will. I've even stumped burly maple that was over 8 foot at the base.
k
the new cyl/pist is MAHLE 66ZN4 W2. does anyone know if I will need to adjust the Carb going from the smaller to larger displacement and where vacuum leaks are most likely to occur (I assume where the carb mounts to the cyl? it's my first time working on a 2 Cycle. Thx-Joe
Settings are the same, but it will need to be tuned.

i've had 070 and 090 and ran them side by side, they are by far easier to start cold/warm compared to other
high compression big saws, if you can pull it quick enough they are pretty easy
but dont let that fool you, they still have lots of compression and will pull long bars easily

i had a 3 shoed clutch 070 that i converted into 090 with AM 66mm P&C and OEM 6 piece clutch
my new 30" hardnose bar had a pinch in the middle and took me awhile to find the issue
the 070 was stalling/bogging in the cut and smoked the clutch, after the 090 upgrade
the bar got smoked and only then i found the problem
goes to show how strong the 6 piece clutch was

I did not see a brand name on the carb, but here is a part number.View attachment 556342

HL244 should be the smaller carb compared to HL324
i think 090 66mm P&C will need the latter to harness the full capacity of
bigger 137 cc
or maybe you can change the bigger venturi ? this calls for experts like scallywag or pioneerguy600
and others

thank you for that, I have an 088 for my short bars, I need the 090 for very big bars for cutting big stumps close to the ground, so for me the power is why I bought it to begin with. I seem to be an expert at buying lemons.

Same Here

Back