Stihl 170 deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score

Attachments

• BF73414E-E20B-44F5-9F24-CE713F8E8B1E.jpeg
    BF73414E-E20B-44F5-9F24-CE713F8E8B1E.jpeg
    466.5 KB · Views: 17
  • CFF78E4D-6507-431E-A79D-9A4E5160F947.jpeg
    CFF78E4D-6507-431E-A79D-9A4E5160F947.jpeg
    590.2 KB · Views: 16
Saw that advertised at an Ace Hardware In Windham Maine this past Sunday. If I did not have one already I would grab one. Great little saw.

I was going to sell my ms170 but putting the bar n chain on it and hearing the little baby Stihl run I may keep it. She was used very little. I been a husky guy since 1979. Even the 041 farm boss ran good. It just needs to be disassembled and hit the paint booth. The Montgomery wards tmy 610 ( mcculloch 610) sounded good. The main problem with used saws first so far is the carbs need cleaning. Second is scored pistons but the sellers did tell me sometimes. The ones that lie I go after for the repair costs.

Saws from the 80’s to go with music from the 80’s lol.

What bar length does everyone run on the baby Stihl ms170? A 14” or 16”? What is the small chain size on the 170? Do you upgrade to .325” or stay with the Stihl chain..? Forgive me I never ran saws so small this is new to me and Stihl ms170 is totally out of my wheel house.

Mine came with a 16” and the 3/8 picco. Always starts. Never an issue. Much easier on the body when I’m limbing.

I’m not really cutting anything gigantic these days on my lot. If I need something bigger, I bring out the 372 with the 24” bar.

That's a pretty good deal on what looks like a sweet little saw.

I paid nearly that much for this old 346. Which is my equivalent powered, but slightly lighter and less refined saw.
I run a 16" skinny bar with 3/8 low profile chain, and think that's about the ideal setup for a little cleanup saw.
20190330_105512~2.jpg

That's a pretty good deal on what looks like a sweet little saw.

I paid nearly that much for this old 346. Which is my equivalent powered, but slightly lighter and less refined saw.
I run a 16" skinny bar with 3/8 low profile chain, and think that's about the ideal setup for a little cleanup saw.
View attachment 726591

Nice looking CS-346! One of my favorite saws. I tend to use it probably beyond what I should but it's so light and handy. I've got bigger saws but really like this one. If I found a NIB or excellent condition one I'd buy a back-up.

I like my little MS170. Bought it last year from a buddy who needed some cash. I figured $100 for a 2017 model saw wasnt bad. Its barely been used. So far, I'm impressed how well it cuts given its size and power.

I just ordered a 14” bar for it. Figuring I won’t attract any giant redwoods with a longer bar.

I just use a 16" bar on my little saw because I figure I'm not tryin to win the 10" biscuit cuttin race with it anyhow.
I like the reach of the 16" and it still cuts all the thorn vines and up to the occasional 6 or 8 inch logs that I use it on just fine as long as I'm not in a huge hurry.

If I was tryin to push it to the limit and cut a cord of wood in an afternoon then I might use a 14" bar on it. But then I got a slightly larger 36cc saw and an old 40cc 009L with that setup, only a little taller profile bars.

I have a few saws with 16” and 18” bars so I figure one little guy would be ok with a 14”. The orginal bar is 18” but it’s missing one tooth.

I've got a love for little saws. Why work your back any harder than necessary when you're cutting small stuff.
I've got both of these:

Stihl MS170 16" BC Franken modded to 180
Echo CS-306 14" BC cat-delete

Both of these saws run like rabid beavers on crack

On my most recent firewood cutting spree I went to a buddy's house to cut up the three dead ash trees he had standing out in his open hayfield. All three still had a few leaves on them but were obviously dying. First one I dropped was the smallest of the three....32" diameter at the base. My buddy wanted to help so I handed him my MS260 and away he went cutting up the top of that tree. Next, I felled the 36". It was much larger all around with a fork about 15' up and about 70 ft tall (like the other two). Once it was on the ground I put the 066 back on the truck and grabbed my new (to me) 018 (older version of the MS180) that I had bought as a non-runner and fixed. Never had run one before and only intended to cut enough with it to prove out the repairs I had done to it. Well, I ended up putting 6 tanks of gas through it. What a nice change! I topped out that entire mammoth ash tree cutting everything 10" diameter and smaller with that little rip-snorting saw. I never realized how nice a light weight saw would be when cutting up the top of a tree! It's pretty much my favorite saw now. But I still like my 260 and 066! Both are wicked fast and powerful as well...just a good bit heavier though!!! Ended up getting over 20 ricks of 22-24" firewood out of those three trees! Was my entire winters supply this year! This is the first year in many that I have not needed to scrounge for firewood! One stop and done! A big "Thanks" to my buddy Dave and his wife for allowing me to cut these trees on their place last fall!

Latest posts

Back